Wheat Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm brewing up an AG wheat this Sunday.

I'm wanting to start a starter tonight. I have some wheat DME that i was going to use, and still might for another brew, but I was wondering if it's advised or not to use wheat DME in a starter for a subsequent what brew?

Any thoughts?

My thinking is, if I have it, use it. I also happen to have some light DME, so I could use that up too. Trying to figure out a preference, or if it matters.

Since you are going to decant most of it away, I doubt the wheat DME vs Light DME is an issue, you will be fine with either for your starter.

I think you are already thinking along the right lines - it really doesn't matter that much. I used to try to match my starter wort as closely as possible to the batch, but from the point of view of what the yeast needs for respiration/propagating, and the affect on the overall batch, the differences will be small. My choice would be the wheat DME.

Back