Wheat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad451

Reaction score
First the pro forma apology: Sorry if this is a duplicate thread.

So I just did my first AG brew with wheat (c. about 25% of the entire grain bill; the rest was a pale malt/Pilsner malt combo). Single infusion mash @ 152F. So no protein rests. I got a pretty funky boil fill with all sorts of globulous matter. It looked like coagulated proteins which I am not at all unfamiliar with. but i was kinda of shocked by the scale of it all. It was kind of like watching pools of algae blooming in a pond. And some of it was actually jelly-like. I noticed this latter element after my Irish moss addition. Anyway, is this normal? Should I be worried?

jelly-like sounds excessively funky to me

i brewed a beer that was 10 lbs wheat/5 pounds pils/2 pounds munich and saw no such thing- i also did a single-infusion at 152

what type of lautering device do you use?

I have done a few wheat beers for my last brews and did not notice what you are describing.

A couple of differences. My grain bills have more wheat (50-60% wheat). Also, I do not use Irish moss for hefes (I want them cloudy).

Sorry I am not more help.

I use an Igloo cooler for mash and sparge. I raised the mashout temp to over 170. Is it possible my grains were just overmilled and I had a lot of dust that was imperceptible when I sparged, but later coagulated in the pot. At any rate, I left a sample out of the fermenter (before I pitched the yeast) and the solids have all settled to the bottom so I guess it's no problem.

I should also stress that I have only done 7 previous all grain mashes. I just started last week and all of my previous brews have been in the SRM 20-28 range. This one, on the other hand was about SRM 6. So maybe I could just see a little better what was going on in the pot.

My last batch was an American Wheat. I noticed the same type of matter floating around, but it didn't raise an alarm because I had read that wheat beers usually have more junk floating around in the primary. The first week after kegging was still cloudy, but now two months into it, it is the clear beer I have brewed yet. So in short, what you are seeing is normal.

Sounds like hot break. But usually you see it in the beginning of the boil.

Back