Wheat+Pils DME recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danweasel

Reaction score
So, here is what I am going to put in the pot today:

3LBs Wheat DME and 3Lbs of Pilsen DME. and steep 1/2 Lb Crystal 40L

I am going to use Cascade hops and maybe some N. Brewer to hop to the low end of the APA style.

This is supposed to be a summer brew.

Now, I searched and couldn't find any recipies that combined these 2 types of DME but I know it's been done. What can I expect? Or maybe, Does this idea suck?

I'd love a bit of feedback... Thanks,

Dan

Looks like a Hoppy American Wheat to me.

P.S. There is a Recipe/Ingredient Section for this kind of stuff.

Oh, right on! I have no idea how this got into equipment. I was aiming for the recipe section. I love computers.

If some one with the power to do so happens to catch this could you move it to the right place?

************BREAK***************

I was under the impression that American Wheat was about a 50/50 wheat and malt mix. Since Wheat DME is a 50/50 mix (right?) in the bag wouldn't I have a 25% wheat mix? Because I really don't wanna make a "wheat" beer, just a "summery" brew.

Depends on the manufacturer, it could be a 50/50mix or something else. Either way it will be a good beer right? And it will be nice and light.

Little confused where you're going but not biggy.

If you're looking for an American wheat all you need is 6 lbs of something like Briess wheat extract. Most if not all wheat extracts have up to 50% barley in them.

Using 3 lbs wheat DME and 3 lbs Pilsner DME will yield around 25% wheat. Also, Pilsner is traditionally not something in an American wheat. However I am seeing Pils malt used more in more in domestic style ales so to each their own.

I am hoping for a wheaty (not a real word) pale ale/summer ale.

I am hoping the 25% wheat will make it light and summerish (Once again, not real) I am hoping with Cascade because I am looking for the citrus taste that should go with the wheat I hope. Also I am hoping the wheat will help with head/head retention which is a problem area with my brews and I am trying to steer away from carapils.

I was also thinking of replacing 10oz of my pils DME with good ol' sugar. I am trying to get a drier taste because all my beers come out sweeter than I would like.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I still need this moved if possible to RECIPIES, thanks.

Since you are using DME, its hard to understand why they are coming out sweet. What yeast and ferment temps are you using? Switching to a more atenutive yeast might help as well as raising the temp toward the end of the ferment. Just tossing some stuff out since there wasn't a lot of info given. ;)

Well temp control is just now improving. I finally started fermenting in a water jacket to try to keep the temps more stable. But they were all in the 65-70 degree range. However there were way too many fluctuations. Such as 59 or 77 at times. I have my fermentors in a big bucket full of 65-68 degree water now. In short that could have been the problem. For yeast I have been using nottingham which has a high attenuation I hear.

I am so new to this as you can see so I really appreciate the help. So, no sugar eh? I am definitely not going to argue with that. It was just something I heard somwhere.

Sugar typically dries your beer out and thins it out as well. It can also lend a cidery taste to the final product, unless you're making a really big beer and you want to thin out that big malt backbone, I'd stay away from it.

Back