Wheat LME vs. pilsener taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
Long time, no post. I've been trying my hand with other fermentables in the new house and new job.

But I want to get some Northern Brewer wheat LME in bulk on sale. Still have a bunch of hops in my freezer that I need to use.
I don't love a lot of the darker notes in my beer. I like pilsener and pale malt in most beers. But what about wheat? It won't have carapils added. Any ideas? I'll not be using a wheat ale yeast, do it would be more like an wheat IPA.
Or should I just stick to pils?
Thanks!

I was happy with how this turned out; no reason lme wouldn't work, or a chico ale yeast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-105428.png
    Screenshot_20220810-105428.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
Wheat extracts are always a mixture, such as Briess' LME/DME is 65% Wheat malt and 35% Barley malt.
https://www.brewingwithbriess.com/products/extracts/
Wheat has a different flavor than barley, so at higher percentages (say, over 20%) you'll definitely be able to tell.
Wheat also helps with foam creation and foam stability. Some brewers may add a small % of wheat in their beers for that reason.

If I'm not using a wheat ale yeast that gives that banana clove eater, will it taste ok? Should I just still with my pils lme?

There are many wheat beers that don't taste like cloves or bananas. The yeast strain used adds that flavor.

Wheat when used in larger amounts (~20% and up, and depending on other ingredients too) can cause an ever so slight tartness (definitely not sour) that helps bring out or accentuate some extra flavors. Some may say it's a (subtle) brightness it adds.

I'd happily brew about any style with 50% wheat flour (unmalted wheat) or wheat malt. The only downside is that you will experience some haze and if you do not biab, you might run into lautering problems.
Wheat taste itself is so subtle that it will most likely get lost in hoppier styles and it should fit well within darker and maltier styles.

Next thing I'll probably brew when brewing a stout, is a 50% wheat flour stout. Rocky creamy head with delicious stoutyness. Yummy!

In other words, brew whatever you want with your wheat extract, it is a mix anyway and it will most certainly work out.

Thanks! I have had wheaty beers in the past but they rarely go far beyond a hoppy wheat but still tastes like a bitter heffe.

easy peasy, select any non traditional German hefe yeast and you won’t get any bananas or clove.

As far as wheat vs pils extract, try it and see what you think. You can always ease into it with a 1 gallon batch if you’re concerned.

I did a wheat sour and a cantaloupe wheat, each using 100% Briess dme and US-05. I like them both and ordered 20 pounds more I found on sale to try in a stout, a porter and some other style not yet determined.

Thanks! I have had wheaty beers in the past but they rarely go far beyond a hoppy wheat but still tastes like a bitter heffe.
Either wrong yeast or an infection. My guess is, it was the wrong yeast. If you choose a hefeweizen yeast, the beer will taste like hefeweizen.

Use something like us05 instead.

I did a wheat sour and a cantaloupe wheat, each using 100% Briess dme and US-05. I like them both and ordered 20 pounds more I found on sale to try in a stout, a porter and some other style not yet determined.
👍 to the cantaloupe wheat.
Where did you get the dme?

But I want to get some Northern Brewer wheat LME in bulk on sale.
Since it's LME, make sure what you get is fresh! That's much more important than using Pilsen vs. Wheat extract.
In that light, don't stockpile LME, use it up in reasonable time. It oxidizes, like honey, getting darker and developing off flavors the older it gets. Refrigerated storage in well sealed containers can slow it down somewhat.

Now DME has a much better storing record, as long as it's kept dry.

Since it's LME, make sure what you get is fresh! That's much more important than using Pilsen vs. Wheat extract.
In that light, don't stockpile LME, use it up in reasonable time. It oxidizes, like honey, getting darker and developing off flavors the older it gets. Refrigerated storage in well sealed containers can slow it down somewhat.

Now DME has a much better storing record, as long as it's kept dry.
It's from Northern Brewer. I've got a good track record with them.

I’ve done Widmer Hefeweizen clones a few times, uses 5 lbs wheat, 5 lbs 2 row, .75 lb 10L, .5 lb C40. I grew a yeast culture from a 6-pack of their bottled beer. Theirs is an Alt-bier or Kolsch yeast if I recall, so no clove/banana. Tasted just like Widmer. 1.25 oz Tett @ 60, .5 Tett @ 15, .5 oz Cascade @ 5. Enjoy…!

Latest posts

Back