Wheat Bulgur?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chips

Reaction score
I'm hoping to make a wheat beer this summer, but am having a hard time tracking down the right kind of wheat. I assume it needs to be 'pre-cooked'? I've used instant oats before right into the mash for making an oatmeal stout as I understand they've already been cooked and just need to have hot water added.

I came across Wheat Bulgur at my local Bulk Barn, with the following description:

"Bulgur is made from soft wheat kernels that have been cooked, dried and then cracked. Thus 'cooking' it, is simply a matter of rehydration. Bulgur can be used as a breakfast cereal, in soups and in the famous Lebanese dish, Tabouli Salad".

The cooking directions are:
"To rehydrate stir in bulgur to boiling water, simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and cover until all the water is absorbed, about 15 to 20 min"

Does anyone know if bulgur would be appropriate for brewing? It's c-h-e-a-p which I like, plus very easy to find.

Thanks!

It will work, but bulgur has a slight toasted flavor from the drying process. Puffed wheat cereal that has no added salt is similar to flaked wheat. If you use bulgur, follow the cooking instructions and add it to the mash.

Thanks for the suggestion to use puffed wheat. Does it go straight into the mash? What is the maximum amount (%) you would suggest when mashing with normal 2-row?

A bit of toasty flavour from the bulgur might be nice, but perhaps if I used to much it would overwhelm the beer.

I just use white wheat or red Wheat malt from the brew store.
It needs to be mashed w a base malt.
I usually do 60% wheat, or so, to 40% two row for a wheat.

Back