Wheat beer cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I know wheat beer is suppose to have a haze, my gravity is reading about right 1.02ish. But this is murky looking and there is still krausen still dropping out. I have been using gelatin and cold crashing my beers lately but I don't want to adversely affect the beer by adding it. Will cold crashing help drop the yeast? It has been in the fermenter about two weeks now. I added coriander and citrus. It smells great. I am donating the beer to a party in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If the krausen hasn't dropped yet then just give it some time and verify the final gravity, patience is better than rushing the beer:)

Cold crashing can drop the krausen but if it's not at final gravity you risk bottle bombs or if kegged an overly sweet beer.

There are small chunks of krausen floating. But I'll take your advice and wait it out. But is cold crashing going to remove too much of the wheat haze?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Small chunks are most likely just yeast rafts floating. Take another em reading in a day or two, if it's the Sam it's done and you can package

Technically in a wheat it's not haze, it's simply a low flocculating yeast strain that keeps the beer cloudy.

You can certainly crash it if you want, the beer will just appear more clear than a typical wheat.

Sent from the Commune

I'd just wait and see how it goes. I wouldn't use any finings in a hefe, unless you want a kriztall.

I've kegged two of my hefes, which I in the back of my head thought might be a no-no, but not keeping the keg too cool made every pour hazy. But the kegs were emtpy in less than a week.

Latest posts

Back