What's your maximum capacity BIAB brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please tell me about the insulation material. Do you put it on after reaching strike temp? Otherwise it would melt wouldn't it?
Thanks,
jw

Yes, I use Reflectix insulation which is plastic. It goes on after mash temp is reached and the fire is turned off.
And yes, it will melt if you don't kill the fire....

I have quit using any insulation and have shortened the mash period after doing some experimenting and finding that conversion does not take nearly as long as most presume it does. Once conversion is complete, the temperature does not need to be kept constant as one is then extracting the sugars and flavors which can happen at a much lower temperature.

I've found that I get a maltier beer with a 45 min mash at ~152-154,and it finishes a tad higher. Great for bitters and milds. I do loose 4-6 gravity points but just up the base malt a lb.

Once conversion is complete, the temperature does not need to be kept constant as one is then extracting the sugars and flavors which can happen at a much lower temperature.

This makes sense. While I don't have any hard data, depending on the batch size and my insulation process my mash might drop 1F over 60 minutes or might drop 5F. I have not seen any obvious impact on stats like efficiency or attenuation between the two.

My largest kettle is 15 gallons. I can do 10 gallon full volume mashes with beers 1.060 or lower. With bigger beers I include a dunk sparge in a smaller kettle.

Back