What's your "go to" Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have heard Roselare is kickass, want to brew something with it. What have you had most success with?

It does! I have only made one sour to date, a Flanders Red, and it was delicious. It's very forgiving too because I made a few mistakes along the way.

As far as my go to yeast is concerned, it has been the WLP940 Mexican Lager. It does a great job of showcasing the darker malts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have heard Roselare is kickass, want to brew something with it. What have you had most success with?

Roselare is pretty amazing. So far I've done a sour blonde and a blueberry lambic and they turned out awesome.

I have a Flanders oud bruin that's on it's 4th month aging and it's coming along nicely.

Mine once was WLP 002, it has mutated over the two years I've been using it. It doesn't flocc without cold crashing, and took my last IPA from 1.072 to 1.012 in a week, 002 would never get to .012. There is no trace of off flavors

I'm a firm believer in Pacman. It's super forgiving temp wise and won't stop for anything. Unless you really work a mash towards low fermentability there is no such thing as under attenuation either.

Wow, no one with S-04? I use it in a lot of my beers, american IPAs included. Just took a DIPA from 1.078 (six points from sugar) to 1.010...light esters go great with hoppy beers and, of course, great for english brews. Ferm

I only use s-04 now, I got to thinking "do I need another variable, when s-04 does it for me all the time" .

I don't do a lot of neutral apa/ipa but s-04 is working its way up to "go-to" status for those styles precisely because it isn't too neutral. I'd prefer a touch less attenuation, though, it's kind of a beast. I'm thinking about a chico/s-04 apa side by side brew one of these days, seems a good way to decide between two clean super-attenuators.

I used to use a lot of notty, but it's so bland, and sometimes less "clean" than the other two (but only in the negative sense).

My prefered strains:

1272 Am. Ale II for wide range of ales
2278 Czech Pils for pilseners
Fermentis W34/70 for german styles

Just recently started playing around with Mangrove Jack yeast. Have tried the West Coast and Burton Ale. Both seem to fit exactly what I want for their given styles. We'll see how well they condition, flocculate, attenuate, etc.

Denny's fav 50 gave me more problems than I've ever had with anything. It stalled out at 1.032...again at 1.024 and again at 1.018, what should have taken two weeks took almost 2 months. No problems with my temperature or fermentability that I know of, we have pretty controlled conditions where I work. It FINALLY finished out at 1.014...slightly higher than I wanted but the slight sweetness ended up complimenting the vast ammount of simcoe i used, so i guess its alright. When I moved it into our cold room (1.5 degrees C) it bloated my 12 gallon grief because it was still active....even though it stalled out at 20C. A creamy head of yeast continued to grow and metabolize and refused to properly clear out. Once it finally did, the beer was pretty fantastic, but it was so much BS to deal with I probably would never use it again. Ever.

Yeah, I'm getting to the point that 007 fits quite nicely for most of the beers I brew. Dry yet flavorful,

Yeah, I'm getting to the point that 007 fits quite nicely for most of the beers I brew. Dry yet flavorful,

You know, the one beer that I did with that yeast, I loved it. I then thought I could use it in lower gravity brews. I checked the website and it didn't really seem like it was a good fit. I'm up for trying it again for sure.

You know, the one beer that I did with that yeast, I loved it. I then thought I could use it in lower gravity brews. I checked the website and it didn't really seem like it was a good fit. I'm up for trying it again for sure.

Yea I've used this on a couple of ordinary bitters and they come out just a little too clean

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

The beauty of a high attenuating test is that you can get a bit more creative with dextrinous malts and not end up with an otherly thick (dextronous) beer. I wasn't looking for a house strain, but I'm going to use 007 for anything American style or British style for a while, to see how I like it. I still have a small bank of frozen other strains, including west York, bastogne, cask ale, 002, east coast ale. I usually drop a us05 for American stuff (one pack for 3 gal) but I used 007 for my last IPA and liked it much. Beer clears really, really nice.

Anyway, its all fun and good in the end. :)

WLP001 California Ale for 70% of my beers. I think I wanna tinker around with that Mangrove Jacks stuff a bit since my LHBS just got it in.

I've used US-05 on a bunch of beer, then recently went back to WLP001 and there was a difference. I love WLP001 for ales and IPAs. However, I have an IPA currently ferementing with WLP051 which I've never tried before.

I've used US-05 on a bunch of beer, then recently went back to WLP001 and there was a difference.

I think your difference is pitch rate or something else to do with preparation.

Living in San Diego, I must support the local business! I use White Labs 95% of the time, and my preferred strain is WLP001 or WLP007. Cali ale yeast is a great all around yeast for most any style(belgians not included obv.) and I love dry english for any IPA.

I think your difference is pitch rate or something else to do with preparation.

Maybe....but, maybe not. I understand that it is supposed to be the same strain, but I can only tell you my empirical results and I would take WLP001 over US-05. It just tasted cleaner.

I used to use US05 exclusively, but kept having a weird flavor I couldn't get rid of or place. Just visited a new brew club that had a side by side comparison of us05 and wlp001. Turns out my "off flavor" was just........us05. Can't stand it! So I'm Switching to wlp001 for now and experimenting with some English yeasts for more malt profile.

I used to use US05 exclusively, but kept having a weird flavor I couldn't get rid of or place. Just visited a new brew club that had a side by side comparison of us05 and wlp001. Turns out my "off flavor" was just........us05. Can't stand it! So I'm Switching to wlp001 for now and experimenting with some English yeasts for more malt profile.

I'm interested. What was the malt / hops of the test beer?

THIS. I brew mostly Belgians and sours, the occasional stout in winter. So I keep my ferm chamber at the higher temp range. Most normal ale yeasts still do just fine but us-05 always gives a bad off flavor.

THIS. I brew mostly Belgians and sours, the occasional stout in winter. So I keep my ferm chamber at the higher temp range. Most normal ale yeasts still do just fine but us-05 always gives a bad off flavor.

Glad somebody agrees! I finally have a stir plate so liquid yeast will be much easier.

Not sure about the test beer specs, but it was a sculpin IPA clone brewed together then split for ferm. My beers that used us05 and resulted in the weird flavors were usually 1.050-1.070 with mostly 2row and 5-15% crystal 40 or 50 sometimes with a little Munich added in, usually not. Fermented in chamber with electric controller from 62-70 wort temp (depending on the batch) I pitched rehydrated, dry, tried AG and even went back to extract to try to figure it out. To my palate, us05 is anything but clean. It's got a weird dark almost cherry-like syrupy tang/ester/fruitiness to it that takes away most of the hop flavor and even overpowers the aroma while leaving the malt totally flat.

Sorry to derail the thread topic, I'm just super stoked to have found out my problem!

I'm giving 1728 Scottish ale a try as my house yeast.

That's what I use, starting using it as my local brewpub will give me some and it's their house strain, works great for bottling, really sticks to the bottom like Nottingham, super clean, fast and also works well cold, I've brewed as low as 50 with it, warmed it up for diacetyl rest, worked great , attenuates well.

Sent from

For ales I also love the notty.

Thought I'd throw this one out there. The white labs dry Irish ale yeast is my ultimate stout and dark beer yeast in general. Bone dry and clean. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My main strains have been US-05 and Wyeast 3711 French Saison, but Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast (Pacman) is pretty nice, as is Belle Saison, so a change may be coming.

Wyeast 1272 works great for my tastes. nice ester profile that fills out the palate in Ipa/Dipa, but finishes dry

I haven't experimented much with pale yeasts, but I do enjoy US-04, but only if you can ferment it in the 62 F range. Otherwise there is a tart off-flavor that seems to predominate especially in a young beer. May give WY-1469 a whirl in it's place. LOVE WY-3711 for saisons. WY-1084 for stouts.

I use Wyeast 1335 or White Labs 007 on the majority of my beers. They are vigorous fermenters, attenuate well, finish clean, and they both leave wonderfully clear beers.

002 for my ales.

S-23 is a HELL of a good lager yeast. Works great at higher temps too, such as 65F.

I would have to say now that I am a big fan of Irish Ale and don't use the 002 or 04 quite as much these days. I am loving 05 though, I always have a packet or a jar I saved laying around.

As for lager yeast I am planning to do some split batch testing between 34/70 and S-23.

Wlp001 is now becoming my go to for my IPAs and apa's especially now that I've got some washed and reused it once. It's working better than 05 at the moment. Gonna try wlp090 for my iipa and see how that goes next.

Munton's Ale Yeast, US-05, and Nottingham -love those dry yeasts!

US05 is great, and I use and re-use Wyeast London Ale 1028 regularly (Lots of Marris Otter in English Ales). Also once a year I use Danstar Belle Saison yeast.

Cheers!

Back