whats your go to GF malt bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
So I started with sorghum extract partial mashes, but I really do not like the sorghum twang.
I have made some very good partial mash batches witn rice syrup extract.

now I am experimenting with various combinations of tapioca starch, malted rice, unmalted millet, and buckwheat, mashed with added enzymes.

Here is what I have learned from my last few experiments...

You can use tapioca or rice starch as an adjunct (with added enzymes)but it adds little protein to the wort and I struggled with diacetyl issues in the batches that used these for aproximately 50% of the fermentables.

unmalted millet can be mashed as part of the grain bill(with enzymes), the flavor and fermentability are good, but it makes the beer VERY CLOUDY, so cloudy it looks milky. I am wondering if adding clarityferm would help with my millet haze? It would be great for "wheat"style beer

The Eckert rice malts are really nice. I especially love the James Brown rice, it adds a really nice aroma and some good color.

For those of you who have dialed in your process.
What is your basic go to "grain bill" for all grain or partial mash batches.
I am still searching for an affordable base grain bill, that i can tweak for various styles.
I like the idea of using a lot of unmalted grain because it is inexpensive and easy to get, but I am open to anything that yields great results.

your comments and advice are aprecieated

I think I understand what you are saying. My "start" of any recipe is 2# flaked corn, 1-2# candi syrup/simple sugar, and 0-1# flaked oats. The rest of the gravity points are made from pale millet malt.

Not sure if that helps or not but, it is what I use.

I got this also from a bad conversion. That "milky" haze is starch in suspension which hasn't converted to sugar. I don't use sorghum or tapioca but I malt and roasted my own Millet to get the flavor I want in my batch. This takes advanced planning of the next batch and what I want out of it but with a 40cel betaglucan rest for 20mins and then a protein rest at 55cel, the beer has a nice head which sticks to the walls of the glass and a nice see thru golden appearance and it taste awesome.

Osedax,

I would like to hear your thoughts on how gluten free you think flaked maize is.
I am thinking of making gluten free version of "Tank 7" saison from Boulevard.
The recipe will involve 3 lbs of flaked maize...do you have a source for flaked maize that you feel is gluten free?

I ask because I can envision gluten contamination at the roler mill...or at the pacaging stage.
where do you order yours?

Thanks,

Gluten contamination most definitely happens with it but, I have had good luck with the LD Carlson stuff. I haven't had any problems yet. Still I wouldn't fully trust it. If you are worried, use instant rice from the store. Won't affect taste very much and will serve the same purpose to lighten the body.

What yeast are you using for Tank 7? I don't know that Belle Saison will be a close match.

Thanks Osedax,

I would like to stick with Maize (over rice), both because I have never used it and and because it is suposed to have some unique (sweet but light) charicter. I am already doing a cereal mash, so I could always use grits.

I will probably use Belle Saison, as you said...it will not be a close match.
There is a thread in the recipes section called "bucket 7", I based my GF recipe on that...someone in the thread reported using Belle Saison and having good (but not identical to the origional) results.
My first stab at it will be a 3 gal batch with Bell Saison, if that goes well; I may order a more apropreate Saison yeast from RVA yeast labs (they will culture on GF media on request) for a follow up batch.

I am very curious about Saisons and know little about them...as they were not popular before I went GF, so I have never had a proper one.

No problem. Grits are a great option. Plus grits are delicious so you can make a cereal mash and breakfast at the same time!

Let us know how the saison goes. One of my favorite styles. I have had good and bad luck with Belle Saison. Can't figure the correct ferment temps with it. I recommend pitching cool, mid-60s, and letting it free rise to 75F.

Good to know about RVA. I never knew that. Thanks! Is it pricey to get the GF media?

The yeast and the shipping at RVA is a little pricey.
I am planning to order from them, but want to time it such that I have time to do some yeast ranching, so that I can save some yeast for future batches.

they have a nice selection of yeast strains that are not available in the usual GF dry form.

I want to mess with Saison, Hefe, and maybe Pac man or east coast IPA strains, but dont want to order untill I am prepared to harvest yeast from the first batch for future use.

Back