GF Min/Max grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I am currently researching options for AIO systems and have seen the GF systems advertise a min and max grain bill. Comparing the G40 and S40, there is quite a bit of difference in the min. They both have the same small batch min (3 gal), so what is the reasoning behind the min grain bill? I would only do 5 gal batches, but with the pricing difference I'm trying to make sense of the added costs. I have not seen this spec listed on other manufactures so I have to question if this is even a real concern?

Thanks!

Thanks! I admit I didn't see the resource tab to use. Could this be applied to other systems?

Yes, the reasoning can be. Another reason is you want a certain amount of liquid covering the heating elements and the internal thermometer that holds it at the right temp. Too little liquid and you may not cover the thermometer, so may get incorrect readings. I can think of other reasons, but in my Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil, I follow the min/max and have no problems with heat, the internal pump working correctly, etc.

This looks like it only repeats what the max/min is. I was curious why the systems advertise the same batch size but different grain bills. I am sure I am missing something?

Back