What's your general cleaning/sanitizing procedure (and for bottles)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berndawg84

Reaction score
So I have kind of a basic question, of which I didn't see a specific thread that addressed the cleaning/sanitizing procedures.

For my first few batches I've only used the One Step cleaner, but now realize I should be using a sanitizer as well...oops. Those beginner brew kits don't come with all the stuff you need!

So if people are cleaning/sanitizing stuff, do they make one bucket of water with a cleaner such as PBW or One Step, soak it in that, then next dunk the stuff in a buck of water/StarSan, then you're done? It seems like people separate these 2 steps by long lengths of time, rather than doing them in succession.

My similar question then is with bottles...do people soak them in PBW for awhile, then sanitize, then dry them on a bottling tree?

I have a Vinator, one of those bottle sprayers, so do people first do a round of a cleaner with the Vinator, then later a round of a sanitizer (StarSan) with the Vinator? Recently, again I've only used the OneStep and nothing else, but I've only recently realized after listening to the BrewStrong episodes on Cleaning and Sanitation that I'm screwing it up. I did have one batch of infected beer. Any suggestions on a procedure for these 2 processes, or a good article, is appreciated. Thanks

So I have kind of a basic question, of which I didn't see a specific thread that addressed the cleaning/sanitizing procedures.

For my first few batches I've only used the One Step cleaner, but now realize I should be using a sanitizer as well...oops. Those beginner brew kits don't come with all the stuff you need!

So if people are cleaning/sanitizing stuff, do they make one bucket of water with a cleaner such as PBW or One Step, soak it in that, then next dunk the stuff in a buck of water/StarSan, then you're done? It seems like people separate these 2 steps by long lengths of time, rather than doing them in succession.

My similar question then is with bottles...do people soak them in PBW for awhile, then sanitize, then dry them on a bottling tree?

I have a Vinator, one of those bottle sprayers, so do people first do a round of a cleaner with the Vinator, then later a round of a sanitizer (StarSan) with the Vinator? Recently, again I've only used the OneStep and nothing else, but I've only recently realized after listening to the BrewStrong episodes on Cleaning and Sanitation that I'm screwing it up. I did have one batch of infected beer. Any suggestions on a procedure for these 2 processes, or a good article, is appreciated. Thanks

I've bottled about 65 batches now. My process is rinse out bottle right after pouring (or at least by next day) with very hot water. I rinse out 3-4 times, set aside and a bit later pour out any residual water, store in closed case. At bottling time I fill bottles with star San about 10 of them full, then beginning with first filled bottle I shake, dump back into my bucket with sanitizer. This way the star San is easily in contact with the bottle for over 30 sec (closer to +1 min) which is time star San recommends for proper sanitation. So I never really "clean" my bottles. I've probably reused some of these a couple dozen times.

As for other items, I clean my conical after each use with PBW and sanitize before each use during the brew day. Stays in contact for probably 30 min or more. My CFC is sanitized with boiling wort and my O2 wand and stone (boiled first) is sanitized in a large bowl and I spray it down good. Only other thing that comes into contact with cool wort might be a thermometer and I keep that in a glass with sanitizer during brew day.

Of course I sanitize caps at bottling time, no boil for me! And sanitize anything I use for my yeast during collection (actually I boil the jars in micro-careful too as water can super heat in micro) and during starter build up if needed.

So far has been good. Good luck!

I'm close in method to the above poster. I'm going on batch 40, its unknown how many times some of my bottles have been used. A triple rinse after pouring into glass(fill 1/3 way shake/dump). I use a faucet mounted bottle washer( I rotate and give a "five-count") then fill with starsan. I don't shake starsan and carefully pour to eliminate most of foam. The fastrack system works better for me than the bottle tree.

First time I reuse a bottle, if I know it touched someone's lips, or anything out of my control it gets a long PBW soak and maybe a bottle brushing first.

Everything that touches post boil gets a dip or a wipe of starsan. Everything is clean to begin with so a rinse and sanitize is all ever needed. Especially for anything glass or stainless. Eventually I will miss something and get an infection, just hasn't happened yet.

While One Step is not certified as a sanitizer, many use it with success. I use it for cleaning kegs, fermenters, and kegerator beer lines. Bottles I rinse as above and sanitize at bottling time with Starsan. The kegs and fermenters get sanitized with Starsan before use. The beer lines just get One Step and warm water.

I rinse my bottles after pouring to get out any residue. Then I'll run them in the dishwasher with a wash cycle and the sani-rinse cycle. The key is to use regular, cheap store brand powder soap along with a couple drops of dawn, they come out squeaky clean, no residue or spots. On bottling day I fill the sink with starsan solution, dunk the bottles and let them sit in there a couple minutes. Then into the drying rack til I'm ready to fill them.

Bottles I rinse out after emptying them. It's a LOT easier than trying to clean them with stuff in the bottom.

For brewing equipment I clean it after I'm done using it and before putting it away.

For sanitizing bottles I use the same vinitiator and a bottling tree.

Triple rinse bottles after pouring. Drip dry in rack and then store upside down in beer case.
Soak bottles in PBW solution for a day when there is dried gunk. Clean with bottle brush chucked in battery powered drill. Rinse well and drip dry in a rack.

Bottling day pour a little Star San solution in each bottle and shake or use the vinator. Place in rack to drip out excess just before filling.

Back