what's your favorite yeast for making cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out which one I like the most, but what yeast do you guys like to use in your ciders?

I've used Nottingham, premier cuvee, and Lalvin ec1118 so far. I bought some montrachet, red pasteur, and safale S-04

1118, clean fermentation and goes dry just the way I like it. Stands up well to the acidic juice I prefer. Drops clear better than any other yeast I've come across. Oh, and cheap too!

I like the flavors of ale yeasts too, but have trouble getting them to clear in reasonable time without help. S-23 being most flavorful, then Notty, then S-05 and S-04.

But they're all good in my book, always rotating and trying new apple blends and yeast combinations.

Seems unconventional for cider, but really liking White Labs Belgian 550 and 575 Belgian blend. More expensive than the dry yeasts but I usually try to get the most bang for my bucks by doing 2 batches from one vial either by harvesting some but mainly just dumping fresh juice on a freshly racked-off yeast cake. Really like the S-04 too though.

I like Nottingham, and Safale S-04.

Least favorite for cider is Red Star Premier Cuvee, and EC-1118. Although, the 1118 is my go-to yeast when I do Skeeter Pee.

Ive used s-04, red star champagne, s-05, and multiple Belgian strains. For everyday use I usually go with s-04 or s-05. Champagne is good for the super dry stuff in my opinion, it eats through anything and in a fairly quick amount of time too. The Belgian strains are good for some nice specialty ciders. After I had woodchuck's Belgian white I was sold.

All in all though I'd have to say that s-04 is my favorite, oh and notti too.

LeBreton said:
1118, clean fermentation and goes dry just the way I like it. Stands up well to the acidic juice I prefer. Drops clear better than any other yeast I've come across. Oh, and cheap too!

I like the flavors of ale yeasts too, but have trouble getting them to clear in reasonable time without help. S-23 being most flavorful, then Notty, then S-05 and S-04.

But they're all good in my book, always rotating and trying new apple blends and yeast combinations.

I agree with ec 1118. I use it since it runs dry, falls out well. It gives me a good alc %. The key with it is not to push passed 11%. If you want some sweetness add later and you got an American sweet cider ....high test

Back