What's your favorite Micro brewery.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's so hard to pick local. . . do I go with stone, bear republic, ballast point?

I've been on a big ballast point kick lately and I love to go in and sample the stuff they are dabbling with when I go to the LHBM.

I'll have to put ballast point as number one right now because they did get me into brewing and I have yet to try a beer of theirs that I didn't like.

Got six bombers of Sculpin for Christmas from my daughter. Good stuff.

The Mountain Sun Pub and Brewery in Boulder. Colorado Kind, Ramble on Red, Java Porter, XXX, Kolsh, Razzy Wheat...etc..10 years of patronizing that place. Guess that says it all for my vote

i have to support my local micro St. Arnolds great beer. hang out there just about every other saturday for what they call tours which is really just a history on the company and then 2 hours of drinking good beer.:mug:

Southern Tier

Their Imperial Seasonal Series continues to impress. The IPA is an addiction. HOPS HOPS HOPS!!!

Down here in Ga we don't have a lot of micro brews. The competition isn't tough, its basically Atlanta Brewing Company or Sweetwater or Terrapin. Out of those three it's Sweetwater. However, I think Allagash is probably my favorite overall.

I would have to go with Terrapin, in Athens, GA... Their normal line is wonderful as well as the Wake 'N Bake is amazing, as well as their side project Dos Cocoas! I love Terrapin!

Allagash, easily. They're incredibly innovative in so many ways, from the only coolship in North America (and one of the pioneers of NA spontaneous fermentation) to their willingness to play with wits and not just clone Hoegaarden, to the whimsical Four and Interlude.

In fact, between Allagash and what Geary's has done exploring UK styles, (not to mention Shipyard and Stone Coast and Casco and the other breweries doing yeoman's work), and the Great Lost Bear's 60+ taps (and 3-4 cask-conditioned real ales) there's an amazing amount of top-notch brewing and beer appreciation going on in the area.

In fact, I'd say that Portland, ME is the most impressive city named "Portland" for beer and maybe my pick for #1 beer city in the country. Given the impressive work being done in Portland, OR, that's saying something.

Also doing amazing brewing work: Stone, Flying Dog, Schlafly. Honorable mention to the woefully underrated Weeping Radish. verrated award goes to the quite good but not great Dogfish Head, though they deserve high marks for inventiveness in their specialty/seasonal/one-time brews.

My vote goes for New Holland. I grew up in Holland, used to go to their brewery a lot. It's funky, they serve their tap beer out of mason jars. My favorite is the Poet

For bottled beers I can pick up at a liquor store, it'd have to be Dogfish Head, although the draft selection in their restaurants is far better. As for brewpubs....gotta double up on Brewer's Art and Ellicott Millls Brewery

I'd have to say Bells and New Holland.We took a trip to Bell's Eccentric Cafe last summer.They always have a nice selection of beers on tap not available outside the pub. Highly recommended.I hope to make it to Three Floyds this summer which isn't too far from me either.

Odd, i dont remember posting in this thread, but apparently i have.

Anyway, it's no longer Three Floyds, its Southern Tier.

I would have to go with Terrapin, in Athens, GA... Their normal line is wonderful as well as the Wake 'N Bake is amazing, as well as their side project Dos Cocoas! I love Terrapin!

I am loading up on Dos Cocoas... Darned limited releases... I do like their Wake and Bake as well... Sweetwater is good, but I like Atlanta Brewing's offerings as well...

Regardless of the number of excellent brewpubs and micros in Michigan, my favorite is still Great Lakes Brewing Co. out of Ohio.

Edmund Fitzgerald, Burning River, Christmas Ale, Dortmunder Gold.

Just a bundle of excellent beers.

There are sooooooo many good micro's. Deschutes in Oregon comes to mind. Never had a beer of theirs I didn't like. Alaskan makes some amazing beers. So does Midnight Sun Brewery, but maybe I'm a bit of a homer...

If anyone is ever in Anchorage, check out the Moose's Tooth Pizzaria and Brewpub. Good beer and great eats!

If anyone is ever in Anchorage, check out the Moose's Tooth Pizzaria and Brewpub. Good beer and great eats!

Moose's Tooth is amazing.

As long as I'm stuck here in BFE South Dakota, I have to settle for what few micros are available. I can get SN Pale Ale, Anchor Steam, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, a few from Odell, Leinenkugel (not a fan, but my wife loves the berry weizen), Red Hook, Boulevard (screw off bottles, so I pass), and one or two others.

So basically I drink a lot of SN Pale Ale, Odell's, Guinness, and homebrew.

Hair of the Dog. Mmmmmm

We joke at work that it's the only time a guy's allowed to drool over Adam and Fred without someone giving him the crosseye.

I'd have to say Sierra Nevada, but only because of my own ignorance. I've been to Sierra Nevada many times of course, and they always have 16-20 beers on tap. Only about 6 of those ever see distribution in other states, and most of those are in bottles. I just haven't tried enough of any other microbreweries' full product line. They truly make some amazing beer, I just wish they'd distribute more of their "creative" brews that we only see locally. From their cask conditioned imperial smoked porter, to the dunkelweizen and the Saison they really have some fantastic brews. In addition, Ken Grossman cooks sushi once a month in the brew pub...which is always a kick to see. I also like the fact that he's opted to go with environmentally sustainable practices in his business, rather than just being greedy. I guess that's one of the perks with owning your company outright and not having to worry about shareholders :D.

I could live happily on the variety and quality of beers that Bell's serves up. Rarely does my refregerator not have something of theirs. By far the best micro with a largely national reach IMO.

Locally, I have to say that St. George's brewery also serves up quality and variety. I am particular to their Winter Stout, an RIS that is very enjoyable. A great selection if you can get your hands on them.

Pelican Pub, Pacific City Oregon. Overpriced for sure, but every beer they make is very good. I especially like their belgian's and the Doryman's Dark Ale. When combined with fresh seafood from the dory boats, their beers can't be beat. I like it so much we actually bought an RV lot across the road from the brewery so we can spend a few weeks there every year.

had the pleasure of dining & drinking at the pelican on a road trip with my dad about 13 years ago. delicious.

Pelican Pub, Pacific City Oregon. Overpriced for sure, but every beer they make is very good. I especially like their belgian's and the Doryman's Dark Ale. When combined with fresh seafood from the dory boats, their beers can't be beat. I like it so much we actually bought an RV lot across the road from the brewery so we can spend a few weeks there every year.

Back