What's your favorite malster and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They come in the whole grain form or crushed?
And you never thought about buying grain from your local farmers market and malt them yourself and save money?

They are whole grains. Not crushed. Also yes, I did think about local farmers…no barley is grown in Arkansas that I can find, and I’ve looked. But, farmers here do indeed grow winter wheat and oats which I am getting. I just happened to be in Ohio, so…..

Malting isn’t my first step in learning to brew, but I’m gonna experiment. :)

I’m not even a novice. I am 3 extract brews in and learning.

I care far more about the quality of the malt than the price.

A local maltster, Root Shoot also grows fairly specific barley just for beer, They have their own VERY sophisticated malt house by SCHULZ. I believe it is the only one in North America. What they offer is far superior to anything that could be made in a home.

I’m so new at this that I shouldn’t even comment prob. I’ll be interested in higher quality when I’ve trained on some cheap stuff a bit. And who knows, it may be great malt I bought from a malter that can‘t yet charge the big bucks. Also, if it’s crap, I only spent a hundred bucks.

Lastly, I read comments from you boys who’ve brewed for so long and it is intimidating. Your knowledge far exceeds anything I have yet.

cheers

Back