What's your favorite honey for mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much pesticide finds its way into honey?

Significantly more finds it's way into the beeswax. It's fat soluble, so absorbs most chemicals. It's often referred to as the "kidneys" of the hive. Next is the pollen. Third is the nectar. While I can't say the nectar is pesticide free, it's not too common to have high quantities of pesticides in the nectar. At least in comparison. That doesn't count for beekeeper applied varroicides though.

(Partially the reason why most sources of certified Organic honey aren't from the US)

Domestic US honey can't be certified Organic. It isn't possible.

In order to be certified Organic, a USDA agency has to certify that your product complied with USDA Organic procedures. The USDA has refused to establish a standard for organic honey production. Thus, no US beekeeper can become certified organic, even if they practice all organic methods.

So how is it that you can buy organic honey from the grocery store? The USDA has an agreement with a few other countries that if the host country certifies a crop as organic, and the USDA believes the host country's certifications are up to standard (mind you not necessarily equal to USDA standards), the USDA will allow the company to affix the USDA Certified Organic label. The most prominant region that does this is Brazil in the honey industry.

Which is kinda BS when you think about it. The USDA won't allow a US beekeeper to sell certified organic honey, because they don't know what standard to apply to honey to call it organic. But the USDA will freely give out their logo and allow another country to say what is certified organic honey, and allow it to be sold to US consumers. But again, the USDA won't allow the standard that the host country used to be the standard that is applied to US beekeepers. A real double standard.

There are a few USDA certifying agencies out there that if you pay their certifying fees, they'll still give their approval to a US beekeeper. But they're saying you hit a standard that they know doesn't exist, provided the fees are paid, so you know how valuable that is. Beekeepers instead can go down the "Certified Naturally Grown" route, but it's fraught with it's own issues.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like I'm complaining but I'm not. Just commenting. If one person doesn't get or appreciate what's involved, that's cool. No worries. Walmart's down the street. If that makes you happy, I'm happy too. It doesn't bother me in the least. Why? Because I have a waiting list of people that do know, that do care, that do appreciate what's involved. They actually complain that I can't make enough. Which is kinda funny when you think about it.

I looked into beekeeping - I understand how much money / ie investment it is to get into the hobby and the required reinvestment in new bees etc etc- not that wine making is a cheap one but - I think the results are more consistent or likely than farming and I have a baby farm or other wise known as a really big garden which is a lot of work. For honey or most things we all have our values or things that are important factors than others - for me if I want honey for allergies or other health benefits then I will buy local honey and pay $7 to $10 per lb, but for mead or wines I guess - even if I made the honey did the bee keeping there is no way I'd waste my awesome hard work local honey on a wine lol (I know some of you are shuddering NOT WASTE lol but just imo) - I'd sell it before I did that for $10 per lb and buy the cheaper commercial stuff that I hope to get for $2-3/lb to put in my fermenting bucket ;) maybe - I'd back sweeten with my liquid gold, just for pride of ownership, but I don't think I would use 10-15lb in a primary fermentation - but there is just one more crazy different opinion for you :) thank you for your work keeping bees - we all need them. My good friend just increased his hives from 12 to 24 I think - cuz even he was like no I can't use my honey to make a mead right now I don't have enough ( had he had his blueberry melomel recipe all ready lol ;) and his bees made 200 lbs last year :) Cheers all.

Not to necro this thread, but I just finished making my first round of meads. So far I've taken wildflower, Tupelo and Sourwood through primary with D47 and stole a taste of each before racking into secondary.

Trying to taste through the crazy alcohol up front, the wildflower was amazing, but the Tupelo was next level good. I can't wait to try it down the road, but I may make a BOMM with it to try it sooner. The floral qualities of both make for very complex flavors.

The Sourwood was a disappointment - that butter, cream and spice was not super tasty when the sugar is gone. A bit like hot tea without any sugar. It's my absolute favorite honey, but unless there's a better yeast to use with it or something, I may not waste anymore of the good stuff and just eat it and sell it :). Maybe backsweetening it will help it?

Back