What's up with Nelson Sauvin hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
So I have never used Nelson hops and decided I would buy some to try out for my next brew. The problem is when I was looking for them online the only place that wasn't sold out was more beer and they were $50 a pound! That seems crazy expensive. So I was just curious from the folks who have used them what they thought? Are they hard to get because they are that good or just new and what would you use them on. I wanted to do a smash with them but not sure I want to fork out the dough!

They're unique (or close to it). I'm not sure what a substitute for them would be. Supply and demand dictates the price.

You ask whether they are "good," and I would say, that's a matter of taste. I like them.

My LHBS was out a week ago and I sub'd Galaxy. Not a perfect match, but will still be good.

They are expensive because they are hard to get, period. They are not produced in huge quantity, and much of the crop goes to commercial breweries -- and even they can't consistently get enough of it! They also don't really have any viable substitute. So, scarcity drives price.

Nelson is an awesome hop. Stone originally used it as 50% of the dry hop for their Enjoy By IPA, although, like so many others, they weren't able to get it consistently in quantity (even a major craft brewery like Stone!), so they have since subbed out a portion of the Nelson for other hops -- mostly Motueka.

You might have better luck in a month or two after the Southern hemisphere harvest. Right now it's like trying to get popular American hops late in our summer.

Reading this I am really glad I picked up a .5 pound on clearance and wish I'd bought more!

Try it first. You may not like it.

From what I know, people either love it or hate it.

It's strong in grape and 'dank' flavor. The more you drink the more you like it. Kind of like sour beer. I bet a sour dry hopped with it would be awesome. :tank:

Try it first. You may not like it.

From what I know, people either love it or hate it.

It's strong in grape and 'dank' flavor. The more you drink the more you like it. Kind of like sour beer. I bet a sour dry hopped with it would be awesome. :tank:

Definitely good advice.

I do not like it. Doesn't matter how many times I've tried (3). My friend, who has very similar beer preferences to me, loves it. Lol! Everyone's taste buds are a bit different.

Find a beer that uses it, and give it a go. Or get an ounce from somewhere, and dry hop a few pellets in a bottle of commercial lager like a Coors or Bud light. Maybe make a tea. Should give you a decent idea.

:mug:

Read my previous posts! Nelson Sauvin is one of my all time favorite hops. I'm drinking a Sauvin saison I made now and it's delicious. Started using it in my CDA, tried a Sauvin saison from Funkwerks, never looked back!

Nelson has a very distinct flavor. It's also very strong and that flavor comes through even when paired with other strong hops.

I haven't had it or used it in a couple years...Earthy fruit is what I remember, if my taste buds are serving me right. That was a lie of homebrew ago and my memory may not hold up :)

I'd categorize them as strong as well. Kind of like equinox.

Equinox is unbelievably strong and will over power any other hops I've used with it 3 to 1. It's not a very good hop IMO.

Nelson actually is a good hop but maybe not as strong as equinox. It blends well with others like citra. Nelson on the dry hop really is crazy strong. Man I want some.

You might have better luck in a month or two after the Southern hemisphere harvest. Right now it's like trying to get popular American hops late in our summer.

That's a good point I didn't think about that. Will try again in a couple months!

I just got a few ounces from Northern Brewer retail store in Milwaukee. Made a Belgian Pale out of it. Bottling it on Wednesday. Samples so far are really good. Its going to be a really fun hop to use in other things.

I'd categorize them as strong as well. Kind of like equinox.

Equinox is unbelievably strong and will over power any other hops I've used with it 3 to 1. It's not a very good hop IMO.

Nelson actually is a good hop but maybe not as strong as equinox. It blends well with others like citra. Nelson on the dry hop really is crazy strong. Man I want some.

Hope not, got a 3:2:1 El-dorado:equinox:galaxy ipa in the fermenter right now. Its smelt mainly of El-dorado when transferring to the fermenter.

Drinking an equal parts mosiac, simcoe, nelson ipa right now. Its good stuff

Hope not, got a 3:2:1 El-dorado:equinox:galaxy ipa in the fermenter right now. Its smelt mainly of El-dorado when transferring to the fermenter.

Drinking an equal parts mosiac, simcoe, nelson ipa right now. Its good stuff

I'd be really interested on what you think.

In my experience the El Dorado is going to be the weakest out of the 3 you mentioned.

I like the other two very much but that equinox is just too much. I didn't even add it as dry hops on an IPA and that's all I could taste. You might like it though...I just don't.

Back