Whats up with my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkimmes

Reaction score
This is only my second starter, but it foamed up within hours and is pushing the foam stopper up?
Should I be concerned?

image-685793458.jpg

you should be just fine, I have had a few starters bubble and foam out of the top before. Some yeast just act differently than others. I may suggest getting a small bottle of FermCap to help with this problem. It is really cheap and would only require a single drop

Looks normal, I'd move it away from the electronics just in case. Also I wouldn't store Star San on my kitchen counter.

It will probably push that stopper out, If you have a paper plate put it under your flask to help with the mess it's going to make :) I've actually had to use a blowoff tube with some starters.

I put one drop of anti-foam when I"m suspicious in blow off.
It does the job.

Instead of putting a foam stopper in the flask try using a sterilized piece of aluminum foil over the opening. This allows the co2 gases to escape more efficiently helping to prevent foam overs, it allows air in which is what you want when making a starter, and it keeps all the bad stuff out that could cause infection. I've been doing it that way for years and never had a problem. I also use a stir plate which helps degas the starter.

Latest posts

Back