whats up with my efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
O.K. just when you think you got all the process down and understand batch sparge as a whole it continues to mess with me.

On my 5th attempt at AG I again did not hit my target o.g. again. Granted I was trying to hit the og that Northern brewer said I should hit and I don't know the % but I know that I missed the target by 12 points. 1.064 compared to 1.052.

11.5 2-row
1lb caramel 40
hit my mash temp perfect at 155 for 75min. Sparged until I got 6 gals.
what would my eff. be with this I don't have any software?

I have read so many peoples process that they claim good results and I think I am doing what they are. I would take any help. Thanks

I batch sparge in a 5gal cooler. I mash for 60 to 75 min then drain and then ad 170deg water for ten min then drain. I do not test for conversion.

here is my mash tun method for that size beer, ALWAYS at least 75% efficiency:

mash in keg mash tun for 60 minutes (generally 152-154°F, depending on beer) with 4 gallons of water

add heat and stir for mash out @ 168°F. rest for 10 minutes.

vorlauf and first runnings

add 5 gallons of water @ 180°F (or higher) to reach mash temp of 170°F. Stir well, let rest for 10 minutes

2nd runnings until i reach 6.5-7 gallons.

I batch sparge in a 5gal cooler. I mash for 60 to 75 min then drain and then ad 170deg water for ten min then drain. I do not test for conversion.

well, with 75 min you probably have conversion.

if you are using a cooler, you'll want to add boiling water for a mash out, to raise your temp to 168°F. subtract this amount from your sparge water.

be sure your sparge mash temp is near 170°F.

so leave room for boiling water for mashout. Thinking that I may not be getting hot enough and leaving alot of undisolved sugars behind? Maybe I did not get the process down by reading about it, sometimes that is the case.

I never actually talked with another AGner about this so I assumed I was doing OK.
Thanks for the input.

I dunno about the mashout argument, I used to never mash out and typically still had 78% eff...

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

it does help, BUT the first time i made my SMaSH brew, i got 84% efficiency in a cooler, with no mash out. i don't know how, it just worked. haven't done that well since.

I do things a little differently *I think this is Bobby_M's method or my interpretation of it.

I do 1.25 quarts per lb of grain, so for math sake, a 10 lb grainbill would be like this:

12.5 qts water at temp beersmith tells me +8 to preheat my cooler (10 mins)
add grain, mix well, check temp, close lid.

Vorlauf, run off... I usually get ~2 gallons of first runnings, and will adjust sparge volume to get me to my desired preboil volume.

Add half the sparge water at temp to get me into the mid-high 160s, rest 10 mins, vorlauf, run off.

repeat sparge with water hot enough to bring mash up to 170 (I try not to go over 170).

I collect 7.5 or 8+ if I am doing a longer boil

I have gotten apparent eff in the high 70s, and as high as 80. My last batch was 65 though. Not sure what happened.

O.K. just when you think you got all the process down and understand batch sparge as a whole it continues to mess with me.

On my 5th attempt at AG I again did not hit my target o.g. again. Granted I was trying to hit the og that Northern brewer said I should hit and I don't know the % but I know that I missed the target by 12 points. 1.064 compared to 1.052.

11.5 2-row
1lb caramel 40
hit my mash temp perfect at 155 for 75min. Sparged until I got 6 gals.
what would my eff. be with this I don't have any software?

I have read so many peoples process that they claim good results and I think I am doing what they are. I would take any help. Thanks

You got approximately 58% efficiency.

One of the problems I see is stopping at 6 gallons. Is that the size pot you have? I only have a 30 quart pot myself, and so I limit my total boil volume to 6.25 gallons or so, and I realize I have to give up efficiency to do that. It's ok with me, but I'm almost always at 72%.

I would suggest making sure that your sparge brings the grain bed temperature up to at least the mid 160's. Sometimes I have to add the first sparge water at 181 degrees to get my grainbed to 168, depending on my mash temp.

Some brewing software would really help you- it's easier to correct any issues during the boil if you're efficiency is low, like correcting your hops additions or adding some DME if you miss your intended OG. Many software titles have free trials.

On most brews, I run off anywhere from 7-7.5 gallons and boil for 90 minutes down to 5.3 gallons or so. I agree, you are leaving a little sugar in the grist. Also, did you look at the crush before you brewed it up? If you had a coarse mill on your grain, that will hurt too.

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Yes I only have a 30q brewpot so I do have to leave it short. I know that I was not getting the sparge hot enough. Thanks, this should give me something to work on my next brew.

Seems simple to see you guys [and gals] say it, but I just went from discouraged to exited for my next batch.

Yes I only have a 30q brewpot so I do have to leave it short. I know that I was not getting the sparge hot enough. Thanks, this should give me something to work on my next brew.

Seems simple to see you guys [and gals] say it, but I just went from discouraged to exited for my next batch.

Get some defoamer. I have a 30qt brew pot and accidentally sparged almost 8 gallons into it (I was watching a football game and not paying attention :p ). It was within 1" of the top and I don't think I ever got close to a boil over. The only time there was even a good bit of foam on the top was the first few minutes of the boil.

I don't think it is a sparge issue. 6 gal vs 7 gal should only make a difference of about 4-5 %. I think it is incomplete conversion of the starches in the mash. Most likely a less than optimal mash pH or a crush that is too coarse.

There are no undissolved sugars in the mash (save for the crystal malts). The missing sugars (i.e. what you are missing in efficiency) are most likely not converted yet and still present as starch in the spent grain.

Kai

Back