What's up with homebrewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I've only met a handful of dedicated home brewers in real life (versus the usual "my wife bought be a Mr Beer once" types), accidentally.

For some reason, each time I try to start up a conversation with one about beer it turns into some kind of weird almost adversarial thing where the other tries to establish home brewing dominance. I just wanted to talk about making beer, and it ends up with someone trying to teach me how to make beer (at best) or why my recipes are all wrong and my beer is crap (at worst).

Everyone on here is super cool and helpful, I just wish "real life" home brewers would just relax! Is it just me? Anyone else notice this?

IDK, people in a home brew club I belong to are rather kind and helpful when we share HB at the end of a meeting. Sometimes asking about a beer, sometimes making suggestions to be helpful. Many are certified judges, catching flavors/characteristics I don’t catch, so that is helpful. With that said, some people are competitive or want to impress. If you like drinking your beer — and you’re happy with it, that is all really that matters.

I notice it too. Just like everyone on the golf course is a golf pro, everybody in the kitchen is Gordon Ramsey, and every homebrewer is the world's brew master. I've just stopped engaging beer people about beer.

But what if by random chance the people you meet just happen to be the best at their craft?

I've never experienced that that I recall. Most homebrewers I've met have been really humble and easy going and love to talk about beer. We share ideas and only talk about equipment when asked.

The other day, I asked a non-local homebrewer I know about what type of set up he has, and he told me he has an automated one barrel system in his garage! I had NO idea at all. He never bragged about it, or his beer. '

I've met thousands of homebrewers, but I don't ever remember a competitive type of discussion. When I was in Germany this summer, I was talking to a very nice couple from Texas, and it turned out he was a homebrewer as well and we became "Facebook Friends" after that.

I can't say I've experienced this either, unless I am that guy
:oops:
But I hope not.

Haven't had that experience, most I talked to were really cool. I did have one time though where I was a bit put off. I got a NorthernBrewer catalog delivered when I just moved into my new apartment and knew they didn't have my new address and saw it was wrongly delivered to me. The recipient was only a block away so I was excited to possibly make a brew buddy friend right near me. Got in contact with the guy and he invited me over. When I got there his friend, a more experienced brewer, was there and had brought a beer of his. I tried engaging and talking about brewing but they just seemed to not have the slightest desire to discuss brewing. Made me feel so out of place. And his friend looked like the quintessential hipster with the mustache or beard (can't recall). Guess he just wanted to look cool or something, I dunno. Never heard from the guy again. C'est la vie.

Rev.

If I had to guess I would say the "homebrewers" who act like that toward you are like that in general. People who need to be right tend to be like that all the time with everyone on every subject. If I cannot remove those people from my circle then I learn to limit the topics of conversation that I will engage with them.

When I meet that type of brewer, I just mention that their process sounds great and seems to work for them (depending if I've tried their beer), my process works for me. There's a million different ways to end up at a good beer as a homebrewer. I'm sure certain homebrewers are appalled at my process and I'm pretty shocked at how much time or energy people spend on a,b,c or d,e,f when I talk to other homebrewers.

I generally don't encounter fellow homebrewers like that. Usually it's excitement that someone else shares a hobby you love and then we both geek out over talking about it. Hell, usually it's the opposite with someone admitting they make "ok beer", but then you try it and it's great.

I haven't run into any homebrewers that act like that, in fact I find most bend over backwards to be nice if they don't like my beer and are constructive while talking about process. Brought a really highly hopped Mosaic SMaSH to a club meeting and could tell a lot of guys didn't like it but they chose to be polite (too polite for my taste) when they tried it. Of course the juicewolves were howling it up.

I am new to the game I'm sure I'll run into the odd homebrewer who thinks they are making ambrosia while we all struggle to figure out bathtub gin, like everything else in life I just laugh and feel sorry for people who need to puff themselves up like that. In my experience you can find these people in any situation/profession/hobby/location.

I don't always brew ... but when I do, I brew alone.
Yep, with nobody else .... this way there are no disagreements about style or method, and in case a mistake is made, there's no one to blame but You-Know-Who. Part of the fun in troubleshooting is introspective self-criticism in the kitchen.

The people I get along best with regarding food and brewing? Only one, a 25 year-old college grad who thinks he's Bobby Flay.
My biggest critic?
After myself, the cat. He couldn't give a hoot about the beer or my ego.

I am another who has never run into people like that. I have only really conversed with 2 other homebrewers except at the LHBS. All were cordial and interesting to discuss ideas with. No one ever took a "holier than thou" attitude.

You'll have to excuse my pissy attitude.
If you hadn't guessed, some folks are avowed reclusive asocials. Like me.

In my experience, more people are simply interested in "drinking" beer rather than figuring out the process of making and enjoying food on their own. They cook and drink out of necessity or habit.
Typically when broaching the brewing as a hobby issue, it's " :rolleyes: why would you do that when you can buy it?"
Sort of the same reaction when dancing around other issues that interest me.

"Why would you drive THAT? It's too big/too fast/ too expensive..."
"You'll put your eye out with that thing."
"You should really drink more water and stop eating so much salami."

Typically when broaching the brewing as a hobby issue, it's " :rolleyes: why would you do that when you can buy it?"

hey now! you all give me **** for doing it to save money! means the difference of $20 a 30 pack or 80 cents a gallon.... lol

i freely admit i'm not a "connoisseur" , and i just like drinking...but i love it every time i figure out a way to cut a nickel off the price of a twelve pack!

edit: plus i like the feeling of free thought, with no boots to lick...

Last edited:
Typically I find homebrewers to be very nice and helpful. I've only met a few, so maybe my sample size is too small, but I joined a home brew club, and they definitely seem like they'd go out of their way to help and talk beer.

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of pretentious homebrewers out there. I see a few on here every day :p

Like other people stated, It’s who you surround yourself with, but also sometimes you need to think about how you’re taking things. Something I learned early is you have to think of brewing as you would a sport. You have to be open to criticism to grow. The guys in my club and the brewers I’ve gotten to know are all pretty honest. Sometimes it sucks hearing the negatives but It kept me from being comfortable making ok beers and pushed me to strive to make great beers. Now even when they complement a beer I’ve made, I ask them to find an area that could be improved. Idk maybe that’s just me

Last edited:
I've noticed the holier than thou attitudes from beginning folks at the homebrew store. I just humor them, admire their process and proceed to the checkout. It's almost like immigrants who still admire and long for their homeland but don't quite realize where they are.

I can think of a few people who might be perceived to be kind of arrogant but it's just a show; like a 49ers fan going on about why their team is the best when even they don't believe it.

Those people are definitely in the minority. I haven't been to DC since I was 13 though. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Like other people stated, It’s who you surround yourself with, but also sometimes you need to think about how you’re taking things. Something I learned early is you have to think of brewing as you would a sport. You have to be open to criticism to grow. The guys in my club and the brewers I’ve gotten to know are all pretty honest. Sometimes it sucks hearing the negatives but It kept me from being comfortable making ok beers and pushed me to strive to make great beers. Now even when they complement a beer I’ve made, I ask them to find an area that could be improved. Idk maybe that’s just me
I agree. The thing I hate to hear the most is, "it's good". Well, I know it's good. I want to know what you enjoy about it, and more importantly, I want to know what's NOT good about it. I'm never content with what I brew, even when I think it's great.

I agree. The thing I hate to hear the most is, "it's good". Well, I know it's good. I want to know what you enjoy about it, and more importantly, I want to know what's NOT good about it. I'm never content with what I brew, even when I think it's great.

I love sharing my beer with friends and family, but enter beers in competitions for unbiased feedback.

I haven't noticed any "one-upmanship" from other home brewers I've met. Most are beer geeks like me and the conversation ends up with us both asking questions of one another. Particularly recipes. I also like to engage conversation with pro brewers at taprooms. Many started out as home brewers and relate well to discussions of it.

I love sharing my beer with friends and family, but enter beers in competitions for unbiased feedback.

Agreed. Christmas was great for my ego, but I know none of my family will be 100% honest. But, I can tell they like it when they come back asking for more.

I haven't noticed any "one-upmanship" from other home brewers I've met. Most are beer geeks like me and the conversation ends up with us both asking questions of one another. Particularly recipes. I also like to engage conversation with pro brewers at taprooms. Many started out as home brewers and relate well to discussions of it.

Agreed. Besides online research, the best advice I've gotten for my own brew has been taprooms. Both from talking with other homebrewers and from owners.

It’s primarily a dude thing. We like to hear ourselves drone on. It’s good to recognize and check that tendency, even if you can’t eradicate it.

It’s primarily a dude thing. We like to hear ourselves drone on. It’s good to recognize and check that tendency, even if you can’t eradicate it.
Started as a kid, “My dad could beat up your dad!”

I've been a member of 4 different homebrewing clubs over the 25+ years I've brewed (currently attending meetings with two different clubs) and thankfully I can't even count a handful of experiences similar to that of the OP.

I do know one guy whose first words when you meet him at a brewing event are typically "I'm the BJCP judge" but once you talk to him he's not arrogant about anything related to brewing or judging.

Group hug everybody.

My biggest issue with brewclubs round here is almost all of the beers are IPA's, stouts or things like double bourbon coffee peanut butter barrel aged sour whatever. Gets old fast.

My biggest issue with brewclubs round here is almost all of the beers are IPA's, stouts or things like double bourbon coffee peanut butter barrel aged sour whatever. Gets old fast.

Balanced Continental styles never get old. That's why lawnmower beer and the tinkering with never-ending variations of the blonde will never go away. Not everyone admits it but sometimes simple balance beats the "more is better" mindset when it comes to malt, hops, and sourbug brews.

I'm a solo homebrewer, as their are no homebrewing clubs in the small town I live in. But I've always said the beer I make only has to meet two criteria:
1. It tastes good
2. It gives me a buzz.

+1 (being cheap helps too! $500 a year tastes a lot better than $7k)

Luckily, my club has a Brewer of the Year competition that involves judging a different beer style for each month. The members vote on the 12 styles that will be brewed.

For some reason, each time I try to start up a conversation with one about beer it turns into some kind of weird almost adversarial thing where the other tries to establish home brewing dominance.

I suppose just because someone has a cool hobby, doesn't mean the person isn't a j@ck@ss.
I've been playing acoustic music for a long time, and while most other acoustic musicians I've encountered are very nice, reasonable people, there is occasionally a egotistical, opinionated, controlling boor I will do anything to avoid.
Its just the way it is....
:mug:

I'm a solo homebrewer, as their are no homebrewing clubs in the small town I live in. But I've always said the beer I make only has to meet two criteria:
1. It tastes good
2. It gives me a buzz.

I am also a solo homebrewer. I do have one friend who recently started brewing. The closest Home brew club is probably a good 30 minutes away. I do enjoy the process, and really enjoy the end results.

I am also a solo homebrewer. I do have one friend who recently started brewing. The closest Home brew club is probably a good 30 minutes away. I do enjoy the process, and really enjoy the end results.
My clubs 30 mins away. There really aren’t that many of us so I wouldn’t consider that bad at all

Back