What's up with homebrewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny to me....people on hbt are the opposite of other social media. Nice online and rude in real life. People on Twitter or other social media sites are jerks online and rarely even enguage in conversation in real life.

I am also a solo homebrewer. I do have one friend who recently started brewing. The closest Home brew club is probably a good 30 minutes away. I do enjoy the process, and really enjoy the end results.

Only 30 minutes... That is nothing!

Luckily, my club has a Brewer of the Year competition that involves judging a different beer style for each month. The members vote on the 12 styles that will be brewed.

What club are you in?
I just moved (beginning of December) from Doral to Pembroke Pines, and looking for some good brewing people in the area.

The people in my brewing group are all far more experienced than I am and they gladly share recipes, tips, etc. which I listen to intently, taking notes at times. They are all very friendly and not at all arrogant about their skill levels. The teasing that goes on is mainly toward the guy who can't stand it when we refer to yeast strains by number instead of names, because he can't seem to keep them straight in his head. When I first joined the group he said "oh no, you're one of them..."

We get together one Saturday per month to sample homebrew and also commercial beers, I had my first taste of barleywine last time and they all had a laugh. Also, a couple of us bring food each week so we stand around talking about smoking an sous vide, that's the one area where I can share tips/tricks/recipes of my own. None of them are on HBT, I dunno why that is, I guess they are just not into forums. I'll keep trying to recruit them tho.

What club are you in?
I just moved (beginning of December) from Doral to Pembroke Pines, and looking for some good brewing people in the area.

Oh the irony of it all [emoji5]

Here's our website http://miami-homebrew.org/.

Now the irony: Until recently, the club met at MIA brewery in Doral! We have moved to Beat Culture, which is located by the real MIA. I also live in Pines as well as a couple other club members. Next meeting is 1/24 at 7:30 and you are very welcome.

Oh the irony of it all [emoji5]

Here's our website http://miami-homebrew.org/.

Now the irony: Until recently, the club met at MIA brewery in Doral! We have moved to Beat Culture, which is located by the real MIA. I also live in Pines as well as a couple other club members. Next meeting is 1/24 at 7:30 and you are very welcome.

Ah, I've followed MASH for awhile. Used to go to MIA all the time. Know some of the investors and many people there .I've heard good things about beat but have never been. I won't be able to go this month (lots of birthdays around that time) maybe I'll hit up the next one.

Not a lot for breweries or brewing people it seems out here in West pines.
I've heard of FLAB but they are way out east fort Lauderdale .

Ah, I've followed MASH for awhile. Used to go to MIA all the time. Know some of the investors and many people there .I've heard good things about beat but have never been. I won't be able to go this month (lots of birthdays around that time) maybe I'll hit up the next one.

Not a lot for breweries or brewing people it seems out here in West pines.
I've heard of FLAB but they are way out east fort Lauderdale .
Judging from their social media, I don't think FLAB is currently well organized. That's why I joined MASH. Beat is in business but the brewery part is not running yet. I think they contract brew at MIA, while they set up. Their building is the old Eastern Airlines employee lounge [emoji1] My main hangout is at Lauderale.

Judging from their social media, I don't think FLAB is currently well organized. That's why I joined MASH. Beat is in business but the brewery part is not running yet. I think they contract brew at MIA, while they set up. Their building is the old Eastern Airlines employee lounge [emoji1] My main hangout is at Lauderale.

I'm trying to see if I can work in going to the meeting this month to check it out. I've only been to LauderAle once but it's probably the closest brewery to my now so I may hit it up a little more often.
I used to live about a mile from MIA since before they opened. Between them, tank, Biscayne bay and now tripping animals there were always places to go. Only downside of moving from Doral. Haha

I'm trying to see if I can work in going to the meeting this month to check it out. I've only been to LauderAle once but it's probably the closest brewery to my now so I may hit it up a little more often.
I used to live about a mile from MIA since before they opened. Between them, tank, Biscayne bay and now tripping animals there were always places to go. Only downside of moving from Doral. Haha
No problem, plenty of places to get craft beer in Broward.

It's funny to me....people on hbt are the opposite of other social media. Nice online and rude in real life. People on Twitter or other social media sites are jerks online and rarely even enguage in conversation in real life.

I've had the opposite experience. I've met two people from HBT and both are terrific. No difference between their online persona and what I've met in real life.

I think every hobby has those kinds of people. Beer just happens to bring a lot of snobs out of hiding but I find most of the really snobby people just drink beer and don't brew it. Those are the ones that really get me...

You need to read some of the BIAB threads...some of those 3v vs. BIAB debates can get a little heated. Don't even get me started on LODO.

I don't run into many home brewers at all. The very few that I have run into have been pretty good even if their beer wasn't.

Now, if you really want to meet some upity types, buy an MG and talk to other MG owners. Not your usual gear heads, until you get to know them.:confused:

So cnash, what's up with homebrewers? [emoji1]

I think they are all just terrible people, a bunch of just bad apples. Maybe they weren’t fermented enough as fetuses.

In all seriousness, I went to a local club meeting this past week. Had a pretty good time and everyone was welcoming. I decided that I would join said club and hopefully grow with them.

I've only met a handful of dedicated home brewers in real life (versus the usual "my wife bought be a Mr Beer once" types), accidentally.

For some reason, each time I try to start up a conversation with one about beer it turns into some kind of weird almost adversarial thing where the other tries to establish home brewing dominance. I just wanted to talk about making beer, and it ends up with someone trying to teach me how to make beer (at best) or why my recipes are all wrong and my beer is crap (at worst).

Everyone on here is super cool and helpful, I just wish "real life" home brewers would just relax! Is it just me? Anyone else notice this?
This is exactly why I am not a member of any groups or clubs, homebrewing, motorcycle, fishing, anything. Holier than thou types are everywhere.

My biggest issue with brewclubs round here is almost all of the beers are IPA's, stouts or things like double bourbon coffee peanut butter barrel aged sour whatever. Gets old fast.
Ditto. Super duper stouts and totally gnar IPAs seem to be the trog norms.

I'll pass.

Latest posts

Back