Whats to do in Asheville

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO & I are taking a long weekend to asheville weekend-after-next. I know they have a LHBS down there, and all kinds of great beer at different places, ya'll got any reccomendations or favortie spots? Any not to miss local beers? It won't be a total beer trip, so other suggestions are more than welcome. We've already done the Blue Ridge Parkway & the Biltmore, so those two aren't in play.

Thanks!!

Favorite place to buy beer is Bruisin' Ales. Its right near downtown they sell nothing but high grav's and they have tastings and stuff usually. Some breweries in the area tha I like are Highland Brewing Company and Pisgah Brewing Company (organic and a fellow Clemson Grad.) I believe Catawba Valley Brewing Co. is near there somewhere too. Another place for good beer is Barley's Taproom, also downtown, they have like 50+ on draft another 75+ in bottles including all the local stuff.

Definitely stop by French Broad Brewing Co. also, they're real friendly with some awesome brews and a nice little tap room.

Just wanted to put this thread back up to the top. Those places are on the list. My wife found Barleys tap room on the net & what I understand is that the Mellow Mushroom isn't far.

Any more ideas? I've only got 5 brews to trade with, but I'd be willing to swap somebody for something else to try.
thanks
zac

SWMBO and I went out there last year so I could buy a majority of my brew gear from a guy on Craigslist and made a day of it.

No offense but the LHBS there was very small and somewhat dirty. Definitely make a point to head out to Highland Brewing Company. They were super nice and led my wife and I in a personal tour of the place. They were brewing that day and the brewers there took the time to talk to us. Not to mention, you get to taste whatever they have tapped. On our way out, the president of Highland came in and we got a chance to talk to him for a few minutes about the hobby and fun of it all. We had lunch at the Asheville Pizza and Brewery and took a small tour of that place too. Towards the end of the day we went by French Broad Brewery and got one of there sample trays for about 6 bucks....10 different beers. The barleywine about did me in for the day and at night they have live music in the taproom.

According to some websites and the locals, Asheville has the largest consumption of craft brew in the southeast and they have micro-breweries and mini-micros to show for it. If you want to pay the money you could just sign up for the Asheville Pubcrawl and if you really want to spend some money you could just go to the Biltmore Estate. Pay a little extra and you can do the winery tour there.

CollinsBrew said:
No offense but the LHBS there was very small and somewhat dirty.

In defense of Asheville Brew Supply, they have just moved to a new location across from Asheville Pizza and Brewery. They have parking now! They do great recipe kits with steeping grains and liquid yeast. So don't judge a book by the cover... give them some business. They are on the web and they will take care of you.

If you want good pizza, drive north on Merrimon past Asheville Pizza and look for Marco's Pizza on the left in the shopping center with Fresh Market. Amazing pizza! If you hit Asheville Pizza, go for a movie and sit in the theater and have a beer and pizza... $2 for the movie, order and they call out your name when it is ready. I like to sit on the couches down front.

I would also reccomend the Jack of the Wood pub. They have good fish and chips and good beer on tap... although no more Speckled Hen, last I was there at least.

I miss that town somedays... I hope you enjoy.

cheers

Its kinda funny, I've made the pilgrimage to Asheville several times over the years, just never went on a beer trip. I'm gonna try to replicate the majority of the pub crawl. Unfortunately, Asheville Brewing supply is closest to me, so it'll have to do.

Last time I was at the Biltmore, it was 9 degrees, roads covered in ice, snow up to an elephants a*hole, so we basically ditched the house about halfway through the tour (whizzing cold inside) and spent the afternoon in the winery & at the bistro. I basically made laps in the parking lot trying to sober up enough to go home!! But the springtime with the azelas has to be the kittens mittens, thats really cool.

I will try out Jack of the wood. We're staying on Patton, so apparently were within walking distance of everything except the brew suppy & a few of the breweries.

I'm looking forward to this, last time we stayed out on tunnel road it it wasn't close enough to walk to anything. This time right down-town. The bier garden is in the same block as the motel, so I bet I know where I'll start & end the day.

thanks folks
z

When I went last year Asheville Brew Supply was located in a small room right next to the Christian Science reading center on a narrow downtown street with no parking and lots of construction. Aside from it's location, inside the store was not at all what I thought it would be...very unorganized and dusty. I never ordered from there nor did I buy anything when I was in but hopefully with their new location came more space to organize their store a little better. They seem to have decent prices on their site so I may still use them.

Not sure where it is, but Highland BC has some great beers (and is located in Asheville)...seems like most of the bars in town have plenty of good beers on hand. A fun town for sure.

Back