Whats this Oxyclean stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmc

Reaction score
Over here I can only get my hands on "regular" sanitizer - its a white powder, called VWP.
In the supermarket though is stuff called "Cillit Bang" which is being (heavily) marketed as the best invention since the wheel, it takes dirt off things you didn't even know you had! It releases oxygen I think (from reading the label in the store) so I am wondering if this is the same/similar stuff as Oxyclean?
http://www.cillitbang.co.uk/
Any ideas?
Cheers
Ken

I generally store empties in a bin full of bleach and then do a second sanitizing session with VWP. Heard that the oxyclean is good for stripping bottles of labels and for decrudding fermenters etc. is it no-rinse, or rinse??

Kenmc, if that is the same as Oxy then it works great at removing crud. I soak mybuckets and carboys in it and they come out fine. Like Denny says, you still have to sanitize. And labels come off like a charm.

So it's a cleaner rather than a sanitizer, thats fine. i might get a little and see how it works, and to make sure it doesn't leave any film etc. I'm not sure it's exactly the same though.

kenmc said:
So it's a cleaner rather than a sanitizer, thats fine. i might get a little and see how it works, and to make sure it doesn't leave any film etc. I'm not sure it's exactly the same though.

What you described sounds like Oxyclean. DEFINITELY rinse it. You'll notice it leaves a real slippery film on everything. It is most certainly not a sanitizer either, so make sure you rinse and then rinse again, then sanitize. ;)

We add Oxyclean to laundry, the carpet steam cleaner, etc. Good stuff. Except for the commercials, GAWD that guy is annoying.

Latest posts

Back