What's the stuff at the bottom of my beer bottles? Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Reaction score
My all grain beer has been sitting in my beer bottles for a week and I am wondering what is the stuff at the bottom of the beer bottles? It seems dark and wondering if it is from the beer settling? I am just curious to see if this is normal?

Yes it's normal. It's the spent yeast, hop residue, and whatever settling out. There are some threads about learning how to do the "home-brew pour" so you'll be able to leave the sludge in the bottle as you fill your glass.

A little sediment is perfectly normal. Did you cold crash and/or use any fining agents?

My all grain beer has been sitting in my beer bottles for a week and I am wondering what is the stuff at the bottom of the beer bottles? It seems dark and wondering if it is from the beer settling? I am just curious to see if this is normal?

I actually look for this when I shop for craft beer. Tells me it was bottle conditioned, and has that old-world craftsmanship feel to it. Pour off into a glass, leave the "crust" behind and enjoy!

Back