What's the longest you've let a batch sit in the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrv

Reaction score
Ten months ago I started two five-gallon batches of Ed Wort's Apfelwein in two carboys. And, you guessed it, I was really lazy and didn't get around to bottling until last night. However, I did make sure that the fermentation lock was filled/topped off occasionally. I feel comfortable that, other than 10 MONTHS passing, nothing else really out of the ordinary happened.

I'm wondering what I should expect. I've heard that after several weeks the yeast can die and give an off-flavor. However, I tasted it as I was bottling, and didn't detect anything bad. It seemed fine. However, I suspect that if there is no longer active yeast, that the bottle conditioning/carbonation may not happen normally, or at all. If that's the case, I think I can live with drinking flat cider. Is that likely to happen? Anything else I should watch for?

Thanks for your input.

You should expect it to be fking amazing.

The key to good Apfelwein it seems is letting it age for 6-12 months. The problem most people have is they get impatient and barely make it 4...
Most people say to leave it on the yeast cake the entire time to get the really good flavors.

You may need to toss in some new yeast for carbonation, but you shouldnt worry at all about off flavors, if anything you did it right and will probably end up with amazing Apfelwein..

I too have 2 5G carboys going that have been a month, and im already dying to crack them to drink.

Lmao. I just bottled a batch I mixed in January or February -- lazy bastards we are :cross:

There should be active yeast available for carbonation.......

Agreed. Apfelwein tastes like burning until ~12 months. Give it 2 more and you'll be good to go.

Back