What's the Golden Ratio of Coffee to Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Reaction score
So what's the best ratio?

1lb of coarse grinds for every 2 gallons?

Golden ratio.

As with so many things in nature, I'm going to assume it applies to coffee as well.

nautilus-shell-with-golden-ratio-spiral-overlay-2.gif

ETA: Dang it. Out-nerded by @m00ps

Last edited:
1.618 lbs coffee per gallon of brewing water. No cream or sugar. Now that is my kind of joe

In my aeropress I tend to go about 17 grams per 10-11 oz of water. Comes out quite good. I dont know where I got those figures in the first place, but whatever works.

I believe Intelligentsia suggests 1:16 for most brewing methods. 50g coffee, 800g water is what I have been using in the chemex.

I learned how to make coffee from a tv show, Good Eats. I use a stove top percolator, and it comes out wonderful almost every time now. Sometimes I have the temp just a tad too high, and I'll get a few grounds in the coffee, but only about 35% of the time.

I have found 4 cups of water with 1-1/4 lbs of coffee. I would give the amount in tablespoons, but the scoop I use it between 3/4 T and 1 T. My scoop uses 6 scoops...so, maybe just under 6 T, I guess.

about 1.618, duh. Ever heard of the fibonacci spiral?

Golden ratio.

As with so many things in nature, I'm going to assume it applies to coffee as well.

nautilus-shell-with-golden-ratio-spiral-overlay-2.gif

ETA: Dang it. Out-nerded by @m00ps

Code:
Just so we understand each other--The golden ratio is given by the series

phi=(13)/8+sum_(n=0)^infty((-1)^(n+1)(2n+1)!)/((n+2)!n!4^(2n+3)) 	(12)
(B. Roselle). Another fascinating connection with the Fibonacci numbers is given by the series

phi=1+sum_(n=1)^infty((-1)^(n+1))/(F_nF_(n+1)). 	(13)
A representation in terms of a nested radical is

phi=sqrt(1+sqrt(1+sqrt(1+sqrt(1+...)))) 	(14)
(Livio 2002, p. 83). This is equivalent to the recurrence equation

a_n^2=a_(n-1)+1 	(15)
with a_1=1, giving lim_(n->infty)a_n=phi.

phi is the "worst" real number for rational approximation because its continued fraction representation

phi	=	[1,1,1,...]	(16)
	=	1+1/(1+1/(1+1/(1+...)))	(17)
(OEIS A000012; Williams 1979, p. 52; Steinhaus 1999, p. 45; Livio 2002, p. 84) has the smallest possible term (1) 
in each of its infinitely many denominators, thus giving convergents that converge more slowly than any other continued fraction.
In particular, the convergents x_n=p_n/q_n are given by the quadratic recurrence equation

x_n=1+1/(x_(n-1)), 	(18)
with x_1=1, which has solution

x_n=(F_(n+1))/(F_n), 	(19)
where F_n is the nth Fibonacci number. 
This gives the first few convergents as 1, 2, 3/2, 5/3, 8/5, 13/8, 21/13, 34/21, ... (OEIS A000045 and A000045), 
which are good to 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, ... (OEIS A114540) decimal digits, respectively.

As a result,

phi=lim_(n->infty)x_n=lim_(n->infty)(F_n)/(F_(n-1)), 	(20)
as first proved by Scottish mathematician Robert Simson in 1753 (Wells 1986, p. 62; Livio 2002, p. 101).

The golden ratio also satisfies the recurrence relation

phi^n=phi^(n-1)+phi^(n-2). 	(21)
Taking n=1 gives the special case

phi=phi^(-1)+1. 	(22)
Treating (21) as a linear recurrence equation

phi(n)=phi(n-1)+phi(n-2) 	(23)
in phi(n)=phi^n, setting phi(0)=1 and phi(1)=phi, and solving gives

phi(n)=phi^n, 	(24)
as expected. The powers of the golden ratio also satisfy

phi^n=F_nphi+F_(n-1), 	(25)
where F_n is a Fibonacci number (Wells 1986, p. 39).

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GoldenRatio.html

Edit: Sorry for the extreme off topic. It's just that you guys got me going. It's a Friday and my ADHD has kicked in and ready to do something else other than look at old code. :)

So what's the best ratio?

1lb of coarse grinds for every 2 gallons?

Of course, grind, roast level, and personal preference are everything. But it you need a place to start, the SCAA is the BJCP of the coffee world.

The Specialty Coffee Assn of America (SCAA) recommends
  • 8.25 grams coffee per 150ml water
  • 1.63 grams coffee per 1 fluid ounce
  • 209 grams / 0.46 lb coffee per gallon. So yea, 1# per 2 gallons is pretty close to what they recommend

Look at the Cupping standards here: SCAA Resources

2 Grams of fresh ground per ounce of water yields excellent medium roast hot coffee
.5 lbs:1 gallon of water for 18 hour cold brew

(used to own a coffee/craft beer bar)

Try 16 gms to 18 gms with 1 gallon of water consequently and you will come out of what your tongue was demanding.

I like a half cup of ground coffee to a full 10 or 12 cup coffee maker (about a half a gallon of water.) A level 1/2 cup scoop for a 10 cup, or a rounded 1/2 cup scoop for a 12.

Three scoops for a 30-cup electric percolator. That's probably my favorite coffee, but I usually can't drink a whole 30 cups by myself in one day. ;)

Latest posts

Back