What's the best way to add...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not exactly sure I understand the question. Adding extract is adding extract - there's not a question of finances there.

Personally, I would be buying dried malt extract, not canned liquid extract. You can buy more than you need at a more cost effective price per pound, and then use just the weight you want. There's some simple formula for converting one to the other, I dunno what it is off the top of my head.

Not sure I understand either...but I'll try to help.

When I did extract brewing I used liquid. I would go with Dry now though, it lasts longer. Liquid has a much shorter shelf life.

Financially, buying in bulk is always best.

The dry is also used in your yeast starters. It is just very sticky so don't spill it. My dog got sick cleaning some up for me.

I just made my first all grain batch and really didn't enjoy the process, so I'm gonna stick to extract/part extract brewing - I don't make beer/ale that often anyway, more into ciders and fruit wines, so building things and buying bits and bobs to set up isn't particularly appealing to me. You should always enjoy a hobby, so meh...Thanks for the info though :)

Dried looks good, plus I'd imagine it's useful to have around, especially for experimental 1 gallon batches! It looks like for a half-keg recipe I'd only need 1.2kg of it, so buying a larger bag would be fantastic.

Thanks for the help chaps!

Back