What's the best way to add priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
I've been using corn sugar boiled in just enough water to make a thin syrup then swirling it into the beer as it siphons into the bottling bucket. I've had one batch where about 3/4 of the bottles were carbed fine, one batch where about half carbed fine, and one where carbonation was perfect throughout every bottle. I also stirred the beer and priming sugar a bit before bottling. Do I need to stir more? I noticed some of the bottle caps were a little crooked too, could that have been the problem?

Anyone ever use carbonation tabs or add a small amount of sugar to each bottle?

I've been using corn sugar boiled in just enough water to make a thin syrup then swirling it into the beer as it siphons into the bottling bucket. I've had one batch where about 3/4 of the bottles were carbed fine, one batch where about half carbed fine, and one where carbonation was perfect throughout every bottle. I also stirred the beer and priming sugar a bit before bottling. Do I need to stir more? I noticed some of the bottle caps were a little crooked too, could that have been the problem?

I just bottled my first batch and did the same technique. Thanks for getting me to 2nd guess it. :(

I guess RDWHAHB

The swirling action is enough to mix the sugar. If your caps were crooked and you didn't get a good seal all your co2 would escape and in turn no carbonation. You can try recapping, but you may have to dump back in your bottling bucket and sugar, 1oz by weight per gallon. Honey works good too. I tried it for the first time using 3 tablespoons per gallon. I mixed it with some warm water and dumped that in the bottling bucket.

I always boil my sugar, place in bottling bucket and rack on top of it.never had an issue.

I usually boil my sugars with a couple cups of water. It may be too much but I want to make sure the sugars dilute well. Then I add the sugarwater to the bottling bucket in three separate pours as the beer fills. Then a smooth steady stir for a few seconds.

I pretty much did what everyone is saying to do. It must be the caps. Odd, anyone else ever have a capping issue?

Anyone ever use carbonation tabs or add a small amount of sugar to each bottle?

I use 2 cups of water, boil and add to the bucket. I have had a few under or overcarbed bottles but most ok. I have stirred some and forgotten on other batches it didn't seem to make much difference.

Tabs or sugar to each bottle seems too haphazard and too much of a PITA for me to consider trying. For sugar, how would you ever get the same amount into each bottle?

For sugar, how would you ever get the same amount into each bottle?

There are 128 ounces in a gallon. Multiply that by your batch size. Divide that by 12, 22 or whatever size bottles you intend to use so you know how many bottles you'll be using. Then calculate how much priming sugar you plan to use and divide that by the number of bottles you came up with. Once you figure out how much per bottle you could play around with the amount in ounces versus measuring spoons. It might come out to be 1/4 teaspoon per bottle or something like that.

I'm bottling more tomorrow. I think I'll split my batch into three 1 gallon parts and bottle each differently. One with carb tabs, one with spoonfuls in each bottle, and the last with priming sugar in the bucket to see which gives the best results. I have no problem spending a little extra time if it yields fool proof results.

I pretty much did what everyone is saying to do. It must be the caps. Odd, anyone else ever have a capping issue?

My first batch was a little light on carbination. Then the guy at the LHBS suggested I double crimp the caps. I crimp the cap, turn 90 degrees and crimp again. No carb issues since.

It's probably a capping issue. I have noticed differences in some bottles designs when using a wing capper: Some bottles have a lip about 3/4" lower than the top lip. These bottles cap easier as the wing capper has something to grab onto as it crimps the cap down. Other bottles do not have this lower lip so the capper rides up higher on the bottle and does not crimp as well. Over time I have replaced those bottles with the others os I have more consistency with all my bottles, just something to note as you bottle.

As for process, I weigh out my priming sugar in grams and dissolve into 1.5 cups of boiling water and then cool, dump into bottling bucket and then rack the beer with the tubing all the way to the bottom, the beer just swirls in and self mixes, I do not stir at all.

This process has served me well for every batch and I have never had inconsistent carbonation.

I rack into a carboy for bottling. I rack a gallon before I add the boiled syrup. This way, I prevent any kind of thermal shock. I don't stop racking once I get to a gallon. I just shove the funnel into the bung hole and pour in the syrup while racking continues.

Well, that's what a usually do. I have a batch that I bottled 3 weeks ago that I primed in the fermentor. I stirred it. It's not the best thing to do.

Back