Whats the best Stainless Steel growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for a high quality Stainless Steel growler that I can take to gatherings, camping, kayaking, bring a few pints home from a brewery etc. I've been doing some reading and Stanley and Coleman keep coming up on top of the lists but my last 2 Stanley thermoses have been horrible so I've lost all hope in their products.

What do you guys use?

Cheers!

I've got a Stanley Classic Easy-Pour Growler. Pretty nice. I like the latching (vs screw) lid. I've got some of their coffee mugs as well so I'm surprised at the comment. They've gotten beaten around a ton and besides dings and dents keep on ticking. Anyway, these aren't cheap as I'm sure you've found. I see they make a cheaper "Go" series which I would expect is probably more cheaply made as well.

1595410912203.png

I also have a couple of the Ozark Trail 64oz "water bottles" that are pretty functional. Two issues with those--no handle so its slightly awkward to pour, and the cap screws down into the growler--er water bottle--so its a little messy when capping on foam or messier when overfull. The lids do seal well from what I've seen. Cheap at $15. I tend to use these for #2 and #3 since I have the Stanley.

1595410870167.png

I have a Miir stainless steel insulated growler. It's excellent at keeping beer fresh and cold. It has a swing top. The only thing is because the top of the growler is at a slant, it confuses people how to open it. If I did over I'd get one with a handle like the Stanley - easier for pouring.

miir_64oz_growler.jpg

Love my Kegland mini kegs. Finish is top spec Only downside is no insulation, but popping on a ball lock lid allows me to keep the refreshment pressurized.

Helps so that I don’t have to worry so much about the drink going flat before I can finish it off.

I’ve got a 2L, 4L and 5L that I put through various use cases.

In the event that I don’t feel like putting one of these all together, (which is rare) I’ve got an insulated 32oz kleen kanteen that works pretty well.

I have one. Heavy duty stainless steel, has a wet suit type insulator that zips onto it, it also has a CO2 cartridge mini regulator and picnic hose dispenser that I tried once and it did not work. I know I paid at least 150 bucks for this thing maybe more, if you want it 50 bucks you pay shipping I am at 98589 has that still have the original box instructions all that stuff

I've got a Stanley Classic Easy-Pour Growler. Pretty nice. I like the latching (vs screw) lid. I've got some of their coffee mugs as well so I'm surprised at the comment. They've gotten beaten around a ton and besides dings and dents keep on ticking. Anyway, these aren't cheap as I'm sure you've found. I see they make a cheaper "Go" series which I would expect is probably more cheaply made as well.

View attachment 690607

I also have a couple of the Ozark Trail 64oz "water bottles" that are pretty functional. Two issues with those--no handle so its slightly awkward to pour, and the cap screws down into the growler--er water bottle--so its a little messy when capping on foam or messier when overfull. The lids do seal well from what I've seen. Cheap at $15. I tend to use these for #2 and #3 since I have the Stanley.

View attachment 690606

I'm glad to hear you're happy with the Stanley, like I said they rank high but have left a bad taste in my mouth. My main issue with my Stanley thermos is with keeping my lunch hot, which seems to be harder than keeping the contents cold.

I have to heat my lunch to nearly boiling at about 5:30am for it to be warm at Noon for lunch in a heated truck, and that's with the 'Super-Ultra-Insulated-Arctic Series' they have, the $75 black thermos line. I used to have an OLD Stanley Thermos (when they were still manufactured by Alladin and used internal glass sleeves for insulation). That thing would keep coffee SCALDING hot for 36 hours and also serves as a reminder to why I do not loan my things to anyone anymore...

Anyway, does the flip top get in the way while pouring? Is it a 2 handed pour to hold the cap out of the way? I was leaning towards a screw cap for no reason at all but it seems the swing top might be the way to go.

Thanks for the help. Cheers!

I have a 64 oz and 32 oz Stanley and love them. They keep beer cold and are easy to pour from. The flip top stays where you move it so its not in the way when pouring one-handed.

I have a couple of the Stanley 64oz and they're great. The fliptop can be a bit cumbersome pouring (need to hold the top with other hand to keep from closing) but the flip side (pardon the pun) is that it really seals well. Maybe this is a prior version from @MikeCo 's.

Edit: I just had another look and I wasn't pushing the top down before pouring, where it kind of locks in place. Once I saw that it seals the deal (again no pun intended).

I just looked at one of mine and found that the lid stays firmly in place as long as I move it to the fully open position. It's slightly looser in the middle, so I can't guarantee it wont loosen with age. But I can use my index finger to hold it open while pouring if that happens.

Back