what's the best hot sauce?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what i'm eating, but the three that are always in my house are:

Sriracha
Frank's Red Hot
Cholula

Wow, getting recipes and everything I'll have to give them a try and see if there as good as store bought sauces, considering its a homebrew site is assume any recipes I get will be good. Just used 1/2 a bottle of cholula on my chicken last night so I'll need to buy somemore of that but there's a lot of good suggestions out there so I'm a bit spoilt for choice I suppose its going to be a case of if i can get the sauce delivered for less than $30. http://www.usafoods.com.au/c8/sauces/hot-spicy/?add=1 this is the site I'll probably be using its got franks, tapiota, cholula and a few others so if anyone wants to check it out and give feedback from there selection that'd be nice.

I like the site "Tears of Joy" there's some excellent stuff on there. We have an obsession with hot sauce where I work: we literally have a shelf full of them. I have slowly become conditioned to spice and heat over time, to the point where many hot sauces don't phase me. IMO after a while, many begin to taste the same, especially the vinegar based sauces. But give these a try:

Iguana Radioactive Atomic Pepper Sauce
Smack My Ass and Call Me Sally
100% Pain
Da Bomb (Ghost Pepper Sauce)
One F***ing Drop at a Time (despite the name, not that hot)
Scorned Woman
Rectal Rocket Fuel
East Armageddon Post-Apocalyptic Hot Sauce (extremely hot, recommended as an additive only)

Da Bomb - Ground Zero, if you need to induce vomiting. I used to eat that, but I think I was doing irreparable harm to my innards. Abandon all hop ye who dash too much.

Honestly, I was expecting more out of Da Bomb. Going down, I really don't think it's that bad. On the other end... nevermind.

But in all seriousness, Da Bomb has nothing on East Armageddon. I sort of don't consider Armageddon "true" hot sauce though, since it has pepper extract as an ingredient.

Are you thinking of something like Frank's Red Hot? I love that stuff.
http://www.franksredhot.com/

Sriracha is also popular here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

Edit: Frank's is more tangy than hot. Sriracha can have a little burn to it.

Franks is the stuff used in many of the popular restaurant recipes for hot chicken wings (equal parts Franks and butter, season/personalize from there).

If you can't get Franks, Durkee brand is indistinguishable from Franks.

Neither is a gourmet product, neither is super-duper hot. But if you are looking for classic hot chicken wings, these products are a popular route.

Patrick (graybeard)

Honestly, I was expecting more out of Da Bomb. Going down, I really don't think it's that bad. On the other end... nevermind.

But in all seriousness, Da Bomb has nothing on East Armageddon. I sort of don't consider Armageddon "true" hot sauce though, since it has pepper extract as an ingredient.

Was it Ground Zero? We have several different Da Bombs, and Ground zero was a killer.

image-3616778432.jpg

i only eat the hot sauce i make, and i live in texas, home of hot sauce. won a gold medal at a competition, and it's made with stuff you get at the grocery store

i only eat the hot sauce i make, and i live in texas, home of hot sauce. won a gold medal at a competition, and it's made with stuff you get at the grocery store

Such as........ PM me if its a secret recipe your don't want getting out.

Texas Pete seems to be getting a good rep in here, but I think I'll be grabbing a bottle of everything I can get my hands without paying a radiculous amount for postage and see which I like best. I get the feeling I'm going to have a few favourites.

Try some of Blair Q's hot sauces ... Mango Habenaro is great
And yes for the Texas Pete .. I always have some in my fridge. I just ran out of Sriracha.
My uncle tells me I need to try Tabasco Habenaro.

I agree with Yooper on Marie Sharps. The carrot base in the habenero sauce gives the sauce amazing flavor. I also highly recommend a hot sauce out of Texas called Duck Butter. It seems like the kind of sauce the OP was describing. Buttery and goes well with most anything.

Tears of Joy in Austin, Texas is a great place to do business with.

I bought some hot sauce in San Diego in november called Colon Cleaner,best I`ve ever had.

I agree with Yooper on Marie Sharps. The carrot base in the habenero sauce gives the sauce amazing flavor. I also highly recommend a hot sauce out of Texas called Duck Butter. It seems like the kind of sauce the OP was describing. Buttery and goes well with most anything.

Tears of Joy in Austin, Texas is a great place to do business with.

I tried to find it but to no avail...couldn't find tears of joy either...

Da Bomb - Ground Zero, if you need to induce vomiting. I used to eat that, but I think I was doing irreparable harm to my innards. Abandon all hop ye who dash too much.

Yes Finally somebody knows Juans Specialty foods. I was going to say da bomb or 100% pain. both I have and will kick the s#*t out of any other hot sauce. And made here in Kansas.

Not sure about vinegar and buttery, but some of my favorites are (in no particular order)

Sriracha - some good heat with asian inspired character and pepper flavor.

Cholula - Seems you are pretty familiar with this one. Not hot, but definitely delicious.

Gil's Crying Tongue - A good deal of heat, with some smoky roasted pepper flavor and fair sized chunks of whatever veggies they put in there. Not as hot as some others, but the flavor is where it stands out. Not too expensive, either.
http://www.gilsgourmet.com/proddetail.php?prod=CRY12

El Yucatero - I have had 3 of the Mexican hot sauce types. They apparently have several other varieties. One is red (the mildest) fairly hot, with some vinegar but IMO, a bit lacking in terms of great flavor. The green is perhaps my favorite. Its habanero base provides great heat and excellent flavor. Then there is the xxxtra hot. Its almost brown in color, and its apparently an ancient Mayan recipe. Crazy hot and good flavor, once your taste buds regain consciousness. Tough to use enough to really taste it, but if you can stand it, its really good. It helps to have a nice cool beer to wash em down with ;)

I'm not really looking for ass burning sauces, I already have big balls i dont need to prove how hard I am I'm looking more for flavourful hot sauces and it could just be my particular pallet but when I say buttery/vinegary that's how I see cholula which I love but I just wanna see what else is out there. And thanks ed el yucateco is one I'm really looking forward to trying....

Paulie, I thought that was what you meant... I would again suggest Frank's (or Durkee's label looks the same, may even be the same product) or Louisana Red Dot (my personal fave and a staple of my diet)

Oh man so many great options here. I'm with Yooper. Marie Sharp's is astounding. I brought a bottle back from when I went to Belize a few years back, but it's long gone. (Yooper, if you have any idea where I could order more, PLEASE let me know!!!) Tabasco's a good go-to, and the Tabasco habanero version is better than the original. Franks is also good, but franks extra-hot is much better. These days, sriracha's been my go to. I've also had a bottle of 100% pain in my fridge at home for years, slowly eating it. It's super hot.

Great thread!

Yooper gave me a bottle of Marie Sharps. It was gone in a week. Find it. You will love it. I need more.

Sriracha is my staple. I'm sure everyone can get it if its in our small grocery. For wings, I use the Franks recipe and sub in the Sriracha...good eats!

-Marie sharps is solid. I like it on eggs.
-Franks is go to for bloodys
-I like green tabasco sometimes on bbq pork.

There are some good local fresh salsas for chips.

14074L.jpg

Cock sauce FTW!

There's others that are better for certain things, but this is the only one I always have a bottle of.

Another one I like that's not really hot, but really tasty is Pickapeppa.
pickapeppa-sauce-recipes.jpg

It's a fermented Jamaican sauce. Kind of like worchestershire with a little bite.

ChshreCat said:
Cock sauce FTW!

There's others that are better for certain things, but this is the only one I always have a bottle of.

Another one I like that's not really hot, but really tasty is Pickapeppa.

PeterPiperpickapeppa...looks interesting.

If you are really into hot sauces this is your place. It used to be my regular grocery. Jungle Jims. They have a whole isle(both sides) and a full display under a fire truck full of hot sauces.
http://www.junglejims.com/foodmarket/specialty-foods/hotsauces.asp

BINGO! Nice to live close to Cincinnati. Any hot sauce in the world at the Jungle (plus plenty of beer!).

Isn't the best hot sauce the one that goes best with the food you're eating? I have around 8-10 different hot sauces that I use on a regular basis. For mexican food, I like Cholula and something habanero-ish like Nuckin' Futz. For cajun, Tobasco or Lousiana Hot Sauce. For Asian, Sriracha or similar garlicky. For chilli, a nice chipotle or Tobasco works well. If I'm making a big pot of something, I might use an extract to add heat and flavor to the whole dish. And on and on....It really depends on the food I'm eating/cooking as to which sauce I use. Kinda like asking "what's the best beer?".

However, one brand that I absolutely love is Blair's Hot Sauces. They have a whole range from mild to absolutely crazy hot, and all of them stress flavor instead of just burning your mouth. Who cares how hot you can stand it if there's no flavor to back up the heat?

Burn Baby Burn!

I was originally perplexed why the Black Panthers have a hot sauce, but it is so damn good that I just don't care :fro:

bbb_hotsauce.png

Back