What's the Best Hef?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
Having just recently fallen in love with hefe-weisse, I personally can't really say...they all taste pretty darn good to me! So I'm wondering what everyone else thinks...what's your favorite wheat? At the moment I'm personally leaning to franziskaner from deutchland, but them good ol boys over in Shiner make a pretty good hefeweizin too. :cool:

Weihenstephaner is really good. I've never had Scheider's standard hefe, but they make a weizenbock called Aventinus that is friggin' pehnominal. 8% ABV, too. :eek:

The best I've had recently is Ayinger (sp?) hefe weiss. Very nice. I haven't been impressed with any American style "hefe" brews.

IMO, Paulaner makes the best Hefe.
1256.jpg

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/124/1256/

Tucher is a close 2nd.
371.jpg

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/129/371/

I've been drinking German Hefe Weizen since my first day in Germany in 1975!

Old news to some, I apologize, but I lived in Germany for 9 years and had all the differnet HWs from all the towns I visited and gasthauses I've eaten, etc.

Can't say I never had one I didn't like.

Ever been to a HW bierfest? I have. HW in a glass liter mug (called a "mass").

I have 2 - 5 liter kegs of Paulaner HW in the fridge right now that I brought back from Germany in July.

I lived outside Stuttgart when I was younger (1983-1986). Waaay too young to drink though. :p

I finally had the opportunity to return last month, and I made sure I got my fill of beer. I think I had 3L of beer every day - 1L w/every meal. LOL 10 days x 3L = my poor liver.

My favorite pic:

IMG_1291%20(Custom).jpg

I have 2 - 5 liter kegs of Paulaner HW in the fridge right now that I brought back from Germany in July.

Bastard. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
So Paulaner is your favorite too?

#3 - Paulaner
#2 - Franziskaner
#1 - Bamberger Weisse (made by Maisel's in Bamberg).

I will tell you though when I was in Schweinfurt in July they had a Roth Brau and a Brauhaus Weizen that was very good and could push my #2 and 3 to 4 and 5.

A lot of the local stuff is better than the big breweries.

My favorite that is available in the US is Franziskaner. I, too , lived in Germany for 5 years. I enjoyed Hefe from the first day I arrived. I usually drank whatever hefe that was local to the region I happened to be in. The coolest thing I had there was when I lived in Hanau, I had a beer guy that would deliver beer to my house just like the old time milk man. I always had Hefewiezen on hand. The brand I drank there was (forgive me if the spelling is wrong, it has been about 12 years) Shefelholfer. But, that was local to the Frankfurt/Hanua area. I have not seen it in the US, and I alway look.

The best one?

A draft, in a large glass, served by a sweet fraulein at a sidewalk table on a plaza in the town where it was brewed, at about ten at night, with the air temp about 65F and a nice subdued ambient light - enough to view the passing scene but not enough to show the lines on my face - and with live music playing a couple of blocks away.

That would be about the best, I think.

SteveM said:
The best one?

A draft, in a large glass, served by a sweet fraulein at a sidewalk table on a plaza in the town where it was brewed, at about ten at night, with the air temp about 65F and a nice subdued ambient light - enough to view the passing scene but not enough to show the lines on my face - and with live music playing a couple of blocks away.

That would be about the best, I think.

Man oh man, that does sound nice.

That's why I like Aventinus. A couple of those and a decent imagination......you're there! :D

After three long weeks of exhaustive and extensive research, I'm going to answer my own question by saying that, IMHO Weihenstephaner Hefe-Weissbier is the best hefe, with Paulaner and Franziskaner 2a and 2b. :cool:

Oh yeah, and none of them needs a lemon. :p

I can never find anything but an empty space on the shelf where that and the Franziskaner Dunkel are supposed to be. :(

Back