What's The Best Deal You've Gotten on brewing Equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 corny kegs and a 5 gallon glass carboy for $20 at a yard sale. Purchased 7 years before I actually began brewing.

$400 for a kegerator at Home Depot over 10 years ago, which still runs great.

I found a 10 gallon pot someone put out for free in an alley, which I scratched volume measurements onto and drilled a hole for a spigot, have been using it since!

The best deals I've gotten are paying full price on actual high quality products.
I've wasted so much money in various hobbies buying and then rebuying stuff over and over.
I'm happy with the quality of my Spike stuff (Solo and flex), torpedo kegs, draft parts (eva barrier lines, duo tight fittings, perlick faucets), and tilt with repeater.
I paid full price but am happy with the "deal" I got. (Stuff that isn't garbage and will last)
I'm convinced some people in all hobbies care more about getting "deals" than the hobby itself.

The best deals I've gotten are paying full price on actual high quality products.
I've wasted so much money in various hobbies buying and then rebuying stuff over and over.
I'm happy with the quality of my Spike stuff (Solo and flex), torpedo kegs, draft parts (eva barrier lines, duo tight fittings, perlick faucets), and tilt with repeater.
I paid full price but am happy with the "deal" I got. (Stuff that isn't garbage and will last)
I'm convinced some people in all hobbies care more about getting "deals" than the hobby itself.

Yeah, some folks live for the DIY component, I did so much myself in the early stages, anymore it is more how much time it will take that stops me doing that. I could have built my new brewing table like the last one, but that $100 savings just want worth it when it would take me a full day to get it done. I find myself replacing all of my jerry-rigged gear with purpose built now that these things are available. Most of it just wasn't around 20+ years ago when I started brewing!

Overall best deal though? - I bought a conical on clearance brand new for $150 off the normal price, that was probably the best monetary wise!

Several years ago a friend gave me a Corny keg he found at work. It still had a small bit of soda in it.
Then a couple years ago I was checking out at the NB store in MKE and the guy brought out a new in-box Dark Star 2.0 burner and put it in the cart for free. Some sort of promotion. Not anything fancy but it definitely was worth the price.
Just this month I passed it along to another new home brewer who is just starting out in the hobby.

I got an Oktober MK16 for $150, and a 2 roller grain mill on a cart with an American ale works motor for another $150 and the guy threw in as many 5 gallon corny kegs as I could fit in my truck (6)!

Where do I begin, I was given a 10 gallon Corny keg, a new brewery gave our brewing club 7 full bags of malt. Another brewery makes out brew club a unreal deal on Hops, I got 5 corny kegs and a CO2 cylinder for $50, and the cylinder was full. I found an old 70's industrial kegerator for $50 including regulator and CO2 cylinder. We have been really lucky

I started out with my dad's old brewing kit (from the 1980's, brew kettle was a stock pot from my kitchen days) and my uncle's wine making stuff from when he moved and didn't want to take it with him (lots of glass carboys). Since then, I have bought several complete home brewing setups from people that have quit the hobby, cherry-picked what I want and let the rest go at steep discounts; I have even shipped home-brew stuff internationally. Best deal was the last one: SS Brewbuckets, induction burner-capable brew kettles, kegs, and so many other things for about 20% of retail. I filled up all of a Honda Accord's available spaces (no passengers) and couldn't see out of my mirrors for a 150 mile drive, but damn, I have nice set up now!

A guy down the street asked me if I wanted his old Summit kegerator back in 2010. He didn’t want his teenage kid drinking beer from it. Gave it to me for couple beers. The top was rotten. I made a new one out of nice hardwood., now it has a three tap tower , distribution block, 20lb co2. Today its running like a champ with 4 corny kegs in it.

Back