What's the benefit of a thick walled SS kettle vs. thin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaobrien6

Reaction score
Thin ones are definitely cheaper, and I'd assume they'll transfer heat quicker. So what's the advantage to a thick walled pot? People seem to use the durability argument, but it's a just a pot. What's going to happen to it? Any concrete information on why a thick walled pot is better? Or isn't it?

Durability is it. Thicker steal is harder to dent. That's about it.

Better heat distribution i think, less chance of scorching if you're using the pot to decoct maybe. Doesn't matter if you have a burner with lots of itty bitty flames though. Thicker wall may give you less efficiency of heating with a burner.

Thicker pots have a much better heat dispersion. They a hold the heat better and more evenly. Comparing cheap versus good cookware is like comparing a fine chef's knife to a $1.99 Walmart knife. It doesn't take a lot of argument to know the difference.

Thin ones are definitely cheaper, and I'd assume they'll transfer heat quicker. So what's the advantage to a thick walled pot? People seem to use the durability argument, but it's a just a pot. What's going to happen to it? Any concrete information on why a thick walled pot is better? Or isn't it?

Hoist 8 gallons of water in a thinwalled pot a few dozen times and I'd bet 9 times out of 10 you'll seee stress fractures where the handles are bonded to the sidewalls.

+1, handles, scary handles on thin walled cheap pots scare me. Obviously you don't always need to be lifting a full kettle but it still pays IMO to buy a thicker walled pot.

Thin=cheap and that means everywhere, like Gila said.
Stainless steel is not good at distribution of heat; it just goes straight through. If you are using gas, when the flame wraps around you often get scorching.

+1 on the handles! oh man that's a scary situation... I likes my pot where the handles are riveted on.

Back