What's That Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icewalker

Reaction score
Perhaps the learned can help me out with this one. I'm a huge fan of St.Peters cream stout. There's a very distinctive taste in there that I originally thought was as a result of their water. The only thing I can come up with to describe the taste is 'medieval churches/beeswax candles' ... yep I know sounds weird right?

However I tasted a Sam Adams Imperial Stout last night and it has a very similar if not the same subtle taste in the back ground. No other stout I've tasted so far .. regardless of maker or style seems to have the same subtle taste ...

I thought at first perhaps it was gypsum ... but now I'm not so sure ... help this is driving me to insanity.

:(

Are you thinking of a licorice flavor? They use Anise in Sam Adams Imperial Stout, and that's about the only odd flavor I tend to notice in it. I haven't had St.Peters cream stout so maybe I'll have to give it a shot.

Are you thinking of a licorice flavor? They use Anise in Sam Adams Imperial Stout, and that's about the only odd flavor I tend to notice in it. I haven't had St.Peters cream stout so maybe I'll have to give it a shot.

Thanks :mug: It's possible - I'll have to refresh my taste buds to licorice. The other thought I had was perhaps roasted vanilla ... What confuses me is that so far there are only two stouts I've tasted that have this 'unique' after taste.

Back