What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20210307_232234314.jpg

Dark Mild Ale with english malts, english yeast and french hops
English Red Ale with english malts, english yeast and french hops
Farmhouse Ale with german malts, belgian yeast, french hops, bergamot orange peel, indian coriander, " false acacia " honey and tea

You got a good woman. If I tried that, I would be finding it on the corner with a free sign on it lol

It is a temporary solution until we make room elsewhere. I'm sure she won't allow it to stay too much longer, but I appreciate her patience lol

Against the Grain, an all-grain APA BIAB experiment -- my first for both. Four days in, and the kreusen is starting to fall with bubbles slowing to about one a second.

Lacto and kveik going at it for a few days with a nice heat wrap. Then I'll be turning off the heat, and tossing in some dry hops and mango puree to make a nice mango sour
14565C3E-534C-45A3-8D31-2B1EBBA245FC.jpeg

what's the set up behind the fermenter?
Was wondering if anyone would notice that. Plan to keg some of the batch and will bottle the rest. Using fermentation gas to purge 1 gallon keg and 2 liter pop bottle (ghetto keg). So it’s airlock on fermenter to liquid out on keg, gas in on keg to liquid out on 2 liter, gas in on 2 liter to airlock with star san. After those two are filled depending on losses from fruit and hops, I should have enough left to bottle somewhere between a 6 pack and a 12 pack

Was wondering if anyone would notice that. Plan to keg some of the batch and will bottle the rest. Using fermentation gas to purge 1 gallon keg and 2 liter pop bottle (ghetto keg). So it’s airlock on fermenter to liquid out on keg, gas in on keg to liquid out on 2 liter, gas in on 2 liter to airlock with star san. After those two are filled depending on losses from fruit and hops, I should have enough left to bottle somewhere between a 6 pack and a 12 pack

Very very cool. I thought it looked like that but I wasn't sure. Is this a first try?

I've got NOTHING in my fermenter! (Which is weird because I usually keg a beer during a brew day and then fill it with a new beer the same day I've emptied it)
It's just sitting down there all lonely and hungry.
Brewing a red IPA tomorrow. No idea why, but I found myself craving one today.

Very very cool. I thought it looked like that but I wasn't sure. Is this a first try?
It’s the first time I have been purging two “kegs” inline but I have been using fermentation byproduct to flush my kegs when possible (keg already has to be empty and waiting when fermentation starts) for some time now with great success.

Nothing but fresh air! I've got a bottle neck, no pun intended, of lack of free bottles to justify(to the Wife) another batch. I am waiting on three cases of 500mL cappable Belgian bottles from my LHBS still or else I would be ramping for another batch of hefeweizen.

It’s the first time I have been purging two “kegs” inline but I have been using fermentation byproduct to flush my kegs when possible (keg already has to be empty and waiting when fermentation starts) for some time now with great success.

Do you put the spunding valve on the empty keg side?

IPA brewed today and pitched on top of a Pale Ale yeast cake of US05. ~100 IBU of Cascade and Vic Secret. All Golden Promise and OG of 1.065. Second time brewing this and although I am overpitching, it worked before. Airlock started two hours after it went in the fermenter.

Depends on your spunding valve. If duotight butterfly one then you can put the 8mm OD tubing directly into the end of the spunding valve and then down to your keg with ball lock gas connector. Use that to flush the sanitiser out of the first keg into the second keg ( via the gas in) and then second keg gets flushed out to another vessel via the liquid line. When both flushed out then put the spunding valve on the last keg until at the pressure you want and then remove them from the system. I might be wrong but the duotight might be suitable for liquid as well ( the white inlines are ) and in that case I suppose you could just attach to the end of the last keg and feed from there into the open flush collection vessel. I don't see the need to push 20 litres of liquid thru the valve even if it was liquid safe.

If your spunding valve can't connect to a gas line ( ie that dreadful all metal job ) then you have to put it on the last keg and watch until the first keg empty and then watch to take it off at that time and let the last keg purge it's liquid. Then replace it on the last keg and set the psi to whatever you want and purge for as long as you want once happy remove from the system.

A keg full of liquid to be purged does require a few psi depending on positioning and in a way does result in back pressure ( resistance ) but this disappears once the liquid is purged.

Do you put the spunding valve on the empty keg side?
Where the spunding valve goes depends on what I am doing. In the current instance I am not doing any pressure fermentation, so there is no spunding valve. If there is any reason for me to pressurize the keg before hand, i will put the spunding valve on it, if I don’t need pressure in the keg, I’ll put the spunding valve on the gas in on the fermenter.

In response to @DuncB duotight has stated that the butterfly spunding valve should not have liquid run through it.

Thanks Elric, confirmed that I shouldn't try it and make sure no ferment goes up into it.
I do see condensation in the tube from the ball lock to the duotight spundit and I hope that's ok.

Where the spunding valve goes depends on what I am doing. In the current instance I am not doing any pressure fermentation, so there is no spunding valve. If there is any reason for me to pressurize the keg before hand, i will put the spunding valve on it, if I don’t need pressure in the keg, I’ll put the spunding valve on the gas in on the fermenter.

In response to @DuncB duotight has stated that the butterfly spunding valve should not have liquid run through it.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing

7 full fermenters at the moment

10g of Modern Hoppy Lager
- Citra, Elixir, Calista
- Fermenting

10g of Modern Hoppy Pale Ale
- Nelson, Mosaic, Simcoe
- 1 more day of conditioning

5g of a similar Modern Hoppy Pale
-Nelson, Mosaic, Centennial
- 1 more day of conditioning

5g of Belgian Pale Ale
- Gonna give this one 2 weeks at 50 before kegging

5g of Mixed Ferm Saison that hit terminal and needs to be bottle conditioned

2-5g of Hoppy “Blonde” Ale
- 10g batch split to grow some yeast and test two different dry hopping techniques
- Galaxy, Simcoe, Strata

Read the above and was in metric mode thinking you were running a real microbrewery !

10 grammes of Modern Hoppy lager is a really small batch.

An overly session IPA. Some of my grains showed up unmilled and I used the food processor. I did a pretty terrible job and ended up way under SG. 3.5% abv IPA, anyone? And that’s after 1/2lb DME during the boil...

Trying out a Fermzilla and starsan purging a keg with fermentation CO2 for the first time, so at least I’m having fun!

5553A1FF-38B6-4A3A-8F3D-B4C466E8225D.jpeg

An overly session IPA. Some of my grains showed up unmilled and I used the food processor. I did a pretty terrible job and ended up way under SG. 3.5% abv IPA, anyone? And that’s after 1/2lb DME during the boil...

Trying out a Fermzilla and starsan purging a keg with fermentation CO2 for the first time, so at least I’m having fun!

View attachment 723601

that's Utah beer before the law changed. now we can have 5% in the stores.

Latest posts

Back