Whats in your cellar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruteforce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I took inventory this weekend. Here's ours. Now show us yours.

-note, I'm still working on getting it to upload properly.

View attachment Beer Inventory - Sheet1.pdf

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

Last edited:
Mine is not nearly as robust as yours. I have a about a case of Dog Fish Head 120 Years 2008-2009-20011-2012
And only a few Sierra Nevada 30th anniversary Fritz and Ken's Ale. I used to have some DFH World Wide Stout from 2009... but when I moved. I dropped em....

Mine is not nearly as robust as yours. I have a about a case of Dog Fish Head 120 Years 2008-2009-20011-2012
And only a few Sierra Nevada 30th anniversary Fritz and Ken's Ale. I used to have some DFH World Wide Stout from 2009... but when I moved. I dropped em....

Still a pretty good haul there. Only had DFH 120 once. Was pretty cool to try it. That's a crying shame about the WW stout though.

Still a pretty good haul there. Only had DFH 120 once. Was pretty cool to try it. That's a crying shame about the WW stout though.

The DFH 120 Gets so much better with age. I'm looking forward to doing a side-by-side tasting soon between my 09-11-12 examples in a month or so. I expect the 09 to be a much deeper amber and it to be very smooth.

The Sierra Nevada is a very special beer that I'm not opening until after the birth of my first child. I've held on to it this long, I plan on savoring it.

I've got a few Samichlaus 2010 Helles & Dunkels. I'm waiting till at least 2020 to open 1 of each, the rest will be opened on special occasions after that. With an ABV of 14%, I think they'll age reasonably well.
Regards, GF.

Seriously, though. I have a few beers on the shelf in the closet.

4-pack of 2016 KBS
2 2015 KBS
Couple Barleywines from NHC 2014 (?)
Several Homebrewed Barleywines
1 "Kill 'em all" from Perrin
1 "With Kindness" from Perrin

I think I drank the Bourbon County that was in there. I need to re-do that whole closet layout. It was supposed to be mostly for storing canned foods and a few extra kitchen items, but it's basically a catch-all now. I really want to make room for more cans and maybe find a better way of organizing my hobby items. I'd like to have a dedicated shelf area for a few cellar beers.

Seriously, though. I have a few beers on the shelf in the closet.

4-pack of 2016 KBS
2 2015 KBS
Couple Barleywines from NHC 2014 (?)
Several Homebrewed Barleywines
1 "Kill 'em all" from Perrin
1 "With Kindness" from Perrin

I think I drank the Bourbon County that was in there. I need to re-do that whole closet layout. It was supposed to be mostly for storing canned foods and a few extra kitchen items, but it's basically a catch-all now. I really want to make room for more cans and maybe find a better way of organizing my hobby items. I'd like to have a dedicated shelf area for a few cellar beers.

IMO, don't hang on to that KBS much longer. I did a six year vertical early this year and the best one was the newest. Since then, I've done a few three year verticals and came to the same conclusion. I think I'm down to one 2015 and one 2016.

To be honest, I've been paring down the cellar over the last year. Cellaring beer (especially beyond a year or two) has not been as rewarding as I had hoped. There are some winners, sure, but it's been pretty hit and miss.

That said, it's been mostly a worthwhile experiment.

What's a cellar? I can crawl under my house when it's not raining out. Does that count.

IMO, don't hang on to that KBS much longer. I did a six year vertical early this year and the best one was the newest. Since then, I've done a few three year verticals and came to the same conclusion. I think I'm down to one 2015 and one 2016.

To be honest, I've been paring down the cellar over the last year. Cellaring beer (especially beyond a year or two) has not been as rewarding as I had hoped. There are some winners, sure, but it's been pretty hit and miss.

That said, it's been mostly a worthwhile experiment.

I agree about keeping the amount down. But I found the difference between 1-3 yo KBS was minimal. I think there was more variation between the beers to begin with.

When we filled our club KBS clone barrel I supplied a few years' for sampling and I thought the previous year's sample was the best, with 2016 coming in second.

In any case, I have just been saving for "special occasion" more than anything, and nothing that special has come up yet! Maybe the start of Hockey Season will get me to pop one. Otherwise, I am the only one drinking beer in my house and it's hard to open a big bottle of barleywine if I'm the only one going to enjoy it. I know the next day will be for sht if I do that.

Need to have a craft beer and food party some time.

I just started my collection 13 months ago, so not too impressive yet, but I was stoked in the last couple months to get my first couple second generation bottles! The date listed after the beer is the date I purchased it. It is hard to find good beer where I live so many of these are intended for short term (like 1 year) just because they were the best I could find that month. I am SUPER jealous of those of you with the 120 in your collection. Only had the opportunity to try it once and it was amazing!

-2104 Barrel-aged Narwhal 9/5/15
-(2) Stone Encore 08 vertical epic 1/5/16
-Stone Old Guardian Extra Hoppy 1/5/16
-(2) Stone Old Guardian 1/5/16
-Stone Imperial Russian Stout 1/5/16
-Stone Stochasticity Project Quadro Triticale 1/5/16
-(2) mystery beers (stout/ipa/sorachi ace) 7.35% 1/25/16
-(1) barrel-aged bigfoot 2015 expedition 1/31/16
-(1) allagash curieux 1/31/16
-(2) deschutes the abyss 1/31/16
-abyss 3/22/16
-(2) Goose island 2015 burbon county stout 1/31/16
-(2) old rasputin 1/16
-(6) bigfoots 1/16
-Stone Old Guardian 2/21/16
-barrel aged bigfoot 12/25/15
-firestone 2016 $ucaba 2/26/16
-nc old stock ale 2013 cellar reserve 3/28/16
-Firestone Parabola 2016 5/2/16
-Stone IRS 2016 5/10/16
-barrel aged Old Rasputin XVIII 6/10/16
-(2) Indian Wells Whiskey barrel amber ale 6/12/16
-Ballast Point Victory at Sea 6/20/16
-Ballast Point Victory at Sea 6/28/16
-(2) FW Stickee Monkee 6/28/16
-(2) Stone Woot Stout 7/18/16
-(4) HB imperial stout 9% bottled 7/25/16
-Goose Island 2015 Bourbon County Stout 8/2/16
-Ninkasi N10 Anniversary Imp. blend 8/9/6
-Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout 8/27/16
-Lost Coast Imperial Stout "sporadic release" 8/30/16
-(2) 2016 Firestone Helldorado 9/7/16
-The Bruery Melange No. 14 9/9/16
-Stone Vertical Epic '02 re-release (drink in 2026) 9/9/16
-NC Old Stock Ale 2014 Cellar Reserve 9/10/16
-(2) 2015 Barrel-Aged Narwhal 9/11/16
-Stone Vertical Epic '02 re-release 9/22/16
-Alesmith Wee Heavy 10/10/16
-Tioga-Sequoia Barrel Project No.2: Autumn Rush Hazelnut Imperial Breakfast Stout 10/11/16

Have to take one off the list. Enjoying my Old Guardian Extra Hoppy 20 months after bottling date. It is the first of my aged beers that I have cracked open. Not much hop smell or flavor left at this point (although Ruination is one of my favorite beers so...) but still delicious and worth the wait!

IMG_2702.jpg

Back