What's going on with my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danomy

Reaction score
I have a stout that is starting airlock activity (mabye a bubble every 10-15 sec) again after a month and I can't figure out why. Mabye a possible infection?
Partial mash
og: 1.054. Fg: 1.014. Alc: 5.3%~
wlp007 yeast, recommended temp 65-70.
actual temp during fermentation 64-68.
Current temp 65
brew date June 27
racked to secondary July 11
I haven't moved the carboy since the 11th or exposed it since I racked to secondary. The temperature has been consistently mid to upper 60's the entire fermentation as well.

When did you take your last gravity reading? Take a current one and see if they match. Bubbles are sometimes just bubbles.

Could be a lot of things, but I highly doubt infection. After racking to a secondary, there is a lot of built-up CO2 being released due to movement of the beer, so I'm around 90% positive it's just the beer off-gassing itself.

Ze bubbles! Zey mean nothing!!!

Take a grav reading today, take another in 2 days. If there's no change, there's no worry.

I agree that it's most likely just off gassing.

@fastandy last reading was when I racked on the 11th. I don't have a wine thief currently so I can only take a reading while I rack

@scrambledegg81 that's what I assumed it was as well but I looked at my logs it's been a month since brew day and 18 days since it was racked to secondary. Which was the last time the beer was touched.

Update:
I just took a flashlight to the carboy the rest of the beer has a dark carmel colored krausen (stout) but on top of the thickest portion there's little white rafts floating the size of rice. I may be psyching myself out but they almost look fuzzy...

I wouldnt be worried. Sounds like its doing just fine. Take a gravity reading when you bottle or keg. Taste a sample then too. I bet its just working on being a good stout.

which yeast did you use? some yeasts krausen looks like that, and hangs around forever.

Back