What's Brewing? February 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely get where you guys are coming from. I was skeptical the first time I brewed this.

If you have the Mitch Steele IPA book, the recipe for Head Hunter includes the water profile. I actually dialed down the sulfate a tad!

Wow, I admit I've been curious to try a more extreme water profile like that for a little while now. If it works, it works.

I definitely get where you guys are coming from. I was skeptical the first time I brewed this.

If you have the Mitch Steele IPA book, the recipe for Head Hunter includes the water profile. I actually dialed down the sulfate a tad!

I'm just more conservative even with a West Coast style Ipa. Highest I go is usually 2-3: 1. To each his own.

First brew day outside at my new place because I actually have a yard now. Going to use TYB House Sour Blend and maybe some Cantillon Gueze dregs if my buddy brings it over. Following This recipe:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2015/11/extract-lambic-recipe.html
Recipe Specifics
---------------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.75
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.38
OG: 1.051
SRM: 6.4
IBU: 9.8
Wort Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Fermentables
----------------
47.1% - 3.00 lbs. Muntons Wheat DME
47.1% - 3.00 lbs. Briess Pilsen DME
5.9% - 0.38 lbs. Maltodextrin

Hops
------
3.00 oz. Mt. Hood (Whole, 1.00% AA) @ First Wort Hop

Going to be the longest boil I've ever done.

Looks like I'll have to cut back on the hops, his were aged for a while.

Yeah, looking more into some extract lambic recipes seems like aged hops are key. I'm gonna make a saison instead and just throw some saaz in there and keep the IBU around 8.

Last edited:
Hoppy saison (Motueka) is fermenting away, good to get a brewday in after a month dry spell. Also breaking in my BrewJacket with this batch.
Curious how that jacket will work. I looked into it before DIY, mostly because I had.no idea what the pressure would be from my sump pumps.

Looks like I'll have to cut back on the hops, his were aged for a while.

Yeah, looking more into some extract lambic recipes seems like aged hops are key. I'm gonna make a saison instead and just throw some saaz in there and keep the IBU around 8.

What are you trying to make exactly? I wouldn't say it's "the key". I've used that recipe from homebrewtalk a million times to test out ideas and it works great with or without hops, with fruit, etc. It's a solid base.

What are you trying to make exactly? I wouldn't say it's "the key". I've used that recipe from homebrewtalk a million times to test out ideas and it works great with or without hops, with fruit, etc. It's a solid base.
A gueze, something like Marraige Parfait would be nice.

I ended up making a recipe that loosely based on this one from the yeast bay:
http://www.theyeastbay.com/a-cellarman-and-his-friends

I toned the hops down to get it to 8 IBU which is desirable for the culture according to TYB.
1ETy99a.png

I built up the culture for a week before brewing, it's chugging away but I didn't need a blowoff like usual.

A gueze, something like Marraige Parfait would be nice.

I ended up making a recipe that loosely based on this one from the yeast bay:
http://www.theyeastbay.com/a-cellarman-and-his-friends

I toned the hops down to get it to 8 IBU which is desirable for the culture according to TYB.
1ETy99a.png

I built up the culture for a week before brewing, it's chugging away but I didn't need a blowoff like usual.

I would keep the malodexrin in there or steep some oats in it to give it more body.

First session was a mess lol. My friend didnt sit the false bottom flush to the MLT, so we ended up having grains in our tubing. We cleaned it up right away. The NEIPA smells like pineapple and mango juice!
Ha, it happens. And mistakes you only make once. Like something I did recently. Had a great brewday sunday, then unplugged the coolant pump to make a repair and forgot to plug it back in. Gonna rename it Hades Ale since it fermented for awhile a little warm.

Going to order ingredients today for my first lager, a german pils. Anybody have any yeast recommendations?

34/70 is go to for German pils. It's incredibly forgiving. I've brewed with it a lot in the 60s and still obtained really clean lager fermentations. Definitely a good pick for your first lager.

Lots of other good strains out there for the style but they are more finicky.

Just bottled my first barrel aged beer. Imperial stout in a two gallon wheat whisky barrel. I tasted it Tuesday and it had light to moderate barrel flavor. Today it was super barrel-y. Time to get packaged.

Really happy with the imperial stout before and after barrel aging (for a mere two weeks). It's still hot but a few months in the bottle should smooth that out.

Into the barrel went an adambier I brewed two weeks ago. The adambier is based on HOTD Adam without the nasty peat malt. Adambier is good, looking forward to enjoying it barreled. Both beers were fermented with London Ale III. Really liked it in the imperial stout. The adambier is really murky right now, unsurprisingly.

I'll see in a month or so how quickly the adambier is getting barrel-y. If it's getting too barrel-y I might run a third clean beer through it before turning it over to a sour beer, likely an oud bruin.

I'm hoping to fit in a brew day on Sunday. A very straightforward table beer; 40% pale, 40% pils, 20% wheat and all Saaz. Looking at 150-200 ppm gypsum and a Belgian strong yeast to get a nice crisp dryness, with an estimated ABV around 3.3%.

I'm still thinking about a dry hop, but the goal is really a higher carbed easy drinking beer.

Drinking my NEIPA with Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy and sacch trois fermented at 72. I was pretty skeptical from the first few samples, which were overwhelmingly belgian-y. But after a week in the keg, that character has died down and kind of turned into a bubblegum flavor that melds better with the tropical hops. Body is a few points lighter than when I use Conan in the same beer, and it works. Appearance is also lighter in color and hazier than when I use Conan. Aroma and flavor from the hops isn't as intense as with Conan either.

Overall, I've brewed variations of this recipe 6 times now (Conan or 1318 every other time) and would rank this one 5th, although its still really good.

1) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
2) Citra/Equinox
3) Citra
4) Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus
5) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy (trois)
6) Nelson

20170203_160258_zpsydk6lezb.jpg
Brewed an IPA yesterday using the Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy/1318 combo. Majority of hops added during whirlpool once wort was chilled down to 120 degrees. Pretty excited for this batch, although the yield looks like it'll only be 3.5 gal.

So I transferred my saison yesterday, it looked/smelled/tasted great and like it was on it's way. Today when I checked on it the top 2" of wort has seemed to turn almost black. I've never noticed anything like this after transfers to secondary, but this is only my second wild beer. Does anyone know what's up with it? What causes this?

Transfer day
GOR9kY1.jpg

Two days later
mlPxFVy.jpg

I've tried searching the interwebs, but I've sifted through a lot of **** and have not found anything helpful.

Brewed an IPA yesterday using the Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy/1318 combo. Majority of hops added during whirlpool once wort was chilled down to 120 degrees. Pretty excited for this batch, although the yield looks like it'll only be 3.5 gal.

That's the magic combo, you're going to be very happy.

So I transferred my saison yesterday, it looked/smelled/tasted great and like it was on it's way. Today when I checked on it the top 2" of wort has seemed to turn almost black. I've never noticed anything like this after transfers to secondary, but this is only my second wild beer. Does anyone know what's up with it? What causes this?

Transfer day
GOR9kY1.jpg

Two days later
mlPxFVy.jpg

I've tried searching the interwebs, but I've sifted through a lot of **** and have not found anything helpful.

Possibly bad oxidation.

Possibly bad oxidation.

Well that's shitty! I transferred the same as I always do with a siphon, filled from bottom to top without splashing... Could it have oxidized just from that empty headspace in the carboy? Advice?

Well that's shitty! I transferred the same as I always do with a siphon, filled from bottom to top without splashing... Could it have oxidized just from that empty headspace in the carboy? Advice?

Always purge the **** out of anything you're transferring into with C02 prior to racking!

Transfer day
GOR9kY1.jpg

Two days later
mlPxFVy.jpg

GifyAUY.gif

Some sort of no bueno oxidative action. Dump it.

What recipe did you end up using?

Basically, the Old-World Alt recipe you linked me. I modified it slightly.

58.4% Best Malz Pilsen
25% Best Malz Dark Munich
12.5% Weyermann Caramunich III
3.1% Weyermann Acid Malt
1% Weyermann Carafa Special III
36 IBU GR Perle at 90min
3.4 IBU GR Perle at 20min
1.1 IBU GR Perle at 5min

Step mash.
122F for 20min
150F for 60min
168F for 10min

OG of 1.052

WLP036 (Fermenting away at around 65F-66F)

Acid Malt was to adjust PH. Shot for a PH of 5.44.

Water Profile was based on some Dusseldorf water reports:
Calcium: 90
Magnesium: 26
Sodium: 39
Sulfate: 100
Chloride: 83
Bicarbonate: 260

Basically, the Old-World Alt recipe you linked me. I modified it slightly.

58.4% Best Malz Pilsen
25% Best Malz Dark Munich
12.5% Weyermann Caramunich III
3.1% Weyermann Acid Malt
1% Weyermann Carafa Special III
36 IBU GR Perle at 90min
3.4 IBU GR Perle at 20min
1.1 IBU GR Perle at 5min

Step mash.
122F for 20min
150F for 60min
168F for 10min

OG of 1.052

WLP036 (Fermenting away at around 65F-66F)

Acid Malt was to adjust PH. Shot for a PH of 5.44.

Water Profile was based on some Dusseldorf water reports:
Calcium: 90
Magnesium: 26
Sodium: 39
Sulfate: 100
Chloride: 83
Bicarbonate: 260
That sounds pretty good. I might brew an alt after I'm done with my rauchbier and saisons.

Just went on an ingredient shopping spree, feel like brewing a lot. Gonna be making these in the next couple weeks:

Nelson Sauvin IPA
Rauchbier
Orange and hibiscus brett saison
Motueka brett saison
German Pilsner
Pineapple berliner weisse
Irish red

Sat I plan to brew a lager Baltic Porter. This has been a goal for a long time. 10 gallon batch and after fermentation move it to 2 kegs. One of which I'm going to Eis. I think it'll taste phenominal. Shooting for 10% and then Eis 5 gal down to 2.5 @ 15%. Ideally I'd like to add some french oak and a hint of brandy to it as well. Then let it all age for a year

Back