Whats a simple recipe to make using WLP351-HB yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariel

Reaction score
I have the WLP351-HB yeast that I froze for a while. I thawed it out in the fridge hoping there is enough yeast alive to make even a 1 gallon batch of beer. When I put this yeast in the freezer I also put WLP720-HB in the freezer with it. The other day I pitched the WLP720-HB in some sugar water and then mixed it with about 1.25 lb of honey that I was going to throw out. Today I see some slight foaming the way I would see if I was testing if bread yeast is alive. My hope is that the WLP351-HB will do the same or better and just take more time to brew. I'm looking for a simple recipe to follow to make the beer. I don't have any equipment. Even for my mead, I used an empty 96oz grape juice bottle. I have nothing else to add to my mead yet and would have to find out what else to get for it. Need to rewatch some old videos people recommended me on here.

WLP351 is a Bavarian wheat yeast.
Firstly, if it has been frozen, you should make a small starter out of it using malt, not sugar water. Boil 50g of dry malt extract in 500mL of water, chill to room temperature and pitch the yeast. Shake occasionally to keep they yeast in suspension and get some Oxygen into the starter beer. Hopefully that ferments. If it doesn't, throw it out and don't use it.

That done, you'll need some equipment. How much and how you brew will depend on the equipment you get. A simple method would be to get a 3.5 to 4 gallon bottle or bucket (HDPE, PET or glass) with a lid/bung and airlock, a tin of wheat malt extract (3.3lbs) and some German noble hops (Hersbrucker, Hallertauer, Spalt, Tettnang or many other options). Simmer 1/2oz of the hops (assuming about 5%AA) or 1oz of hops (if 2.5%AA) in a quart of water for 30 minutes. Strain out the solids, add the bitter liquid to the sanitised fermenter. Dissolve the liquid malt extract in some hot water, add to the fermenter, then make up to 2.5gallons with cold water. You're looking for a starting temperature around 70F. Add the 500mL starter beer (assuming it wasn't dead), put on the airlock and leave it along for 10 days to 3 weeks at room temperature.

WLP351 is a Bavarian wheat yeast.
Firstly, if it has been frozen, you should make a small starter out of it using malt, not sugar water. Boil 50g of dry malt extract in 500mL of water, chill to room temperature and pitch the yeast. Shake occasionally to keep they yeast in suspension and get some Oxygen into the starter beer. Hopefully that ferments. If it doesn't, throw it out and don't use it.

That done, you'll need some equipment. How much and how you brew will depend on the equipment you get. A simple method would be to get a 3.5 to 4 gallon bottle or bucket (HDPE, PET or glass) with a lid/bung and airlock, a tin of wheat malt extract (3.3lbs) and some German noble hops (Hersbrucker, Hallertauer, Spalt, Tettnang or many other options). Simmer 1/2oz of the hops (assuming about 5%AA) or 1oz of hops (if 2.5%AA) in a quart of water for 30 minutes. Strain out the solids, add the bitter liquid to the sanitised fermenter. Dissolve the liquid malt extract in some hot water, add to the fermenter, then make up to 2.5gallons with cold water. You're looking for a starting temperature around 70F. Add the 500mL starter beer (assuming it wasn't dead), put on the airlock and leave it along for 10 days to 3 weeks at room temperature.

Thanks Gnomebrewer

I have high hopes the yeast is still alive. The yeast for my mead was alive and is bubbling away.

Most recipes I see are for 5 gallons. Is there a specific reason why its thats size or did that just become a standard minimum size to work with?

If I were to buy all those stuff you listed, how much would that roughly cost to get it all? My goal with this first batch is to make it as inexpensive as possible to get even a small batch that just tastes like beer to say that I have made it once before I may commit to a real hobby of doing it a few years later

5 gallons is just a standard for homebrew. It's what most kits are made for, it fits a single keg, and is the size of most homebrew 'bucket' type fermenters. It's definitely not a minimum though - there are lots of brewers around doing batches as small as 1 gallon.

For the equipment: I'm guessing a bit at price (I'm in Australia; I'm assuming you're in the US). You should be able to pickup a PET or HDPE container for around the $15 mark. An airlock will only cost a couple of dollars. The ingredients I listed above should also be around $15 (probably less). BUT, you'll also need bottles and bottling equipment, unless you can borrow some from another brewer.

Back