What's a good yeast for both a Baltic porter and an Italian pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmtrees

Reaction score
I'm planning my spring brews, and I have a Baltic porter and an Italian pilsner on the list. I'd like to get just one yeast that I can use for both. I was thinking 34/70. Anyone have any thoughts on whether that would work for both? Or is there a better option out there?

In terms of mechanics, I would plan to do a starter and overbuild it so I can use it for two batches. I don't usually do a starter with dry yeasts, but I'm starting to make more lagers, so I wouldn't mind having a jar of a lager yeast around.

I like 34/70 a lot for a Baltic Porter: it's clean and gets out of the way of the malt. It doesn't have a lot of character on its own, though. It will probably do just fine for an Italian Pilsner, but you might feel like it was missing something. (I've never made an Italian Pilsner.)

You could reasonably do the Pilsner first and pitch the Baltic on the yeast cake. Remember that if you build a starter with dry yeast, it is for all intents and purposes wet yeast, and you'll want to oxygenate your wort before pitching.

Honestly you can't go wrong with 34/70. I'm finding more and more pro brewers are using it for everything from helles to cold IPA. I also really like WY2308 Munich Lager, which contributes a pleasant rich malty flavor with a hint of sulfur. Supposedly it's genetically similar to Lallemand Diamond.
Recently I tried WLP860 Munich Helles yeast, supposedly sourced from Augustiner. It turned out excellent, with a crisp, smooth creamy flavor. It also overattenuated: 81% vs advertised 68-72%; not sure what happened, it was 50F throughout primary. Still would use again.

Last edited:
Back