Whats a good temp for fermenting a hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardiac_cadet002

Reaction score
I have seen all sorts of post for fermenting Hefes, but what would be the optimal range for fermenting one using White Labs Hefeweizen yeast. I could put it in my spare bathtub and let it soak in cold water and maybe get the temp to about 67F I'm assuming. Any thoughts appreciated.

Hefe's are ales. They prefer fermenting above 70F.

With a Hefe the higher temp, say 75F, the more banana flavor will be produced by the yeast. Under 70F will produce a clove flavor.

Sometimes the clove flavor also accentuates the perceived hop bitterness.

I have been useing the WLP300 and for the first 2-3 days I have it at 72-74 then for the rest of the time it's 65-68. Trying to get both the bannana and clove.
Seems to be working well. Have not made a bad beer yet. :rockin:

is it really true that the clove notes come at lower temps and the banana at highers? it seems to me that both the clove and the banana come out more at higher temps and are more subtle at lower temps...

the thing i love about lower temps for hefes and belgians is the "spiciness"

:) yummy in my tummy

I don't know if this has been discussed 'ad nauseam' but I've been listening to Jamil's show(where he goes through a different beer style each episode on Brewing Network) and he suggested that they should be brewed at 62F! I know he's very style oriented, apparently one of the reasons he wins so much, but I was suprised to hear this. I think next time I'll split my hefe and ferment at 62 and ~73 to compare.

I don't know if this has been discussed 'ad nauseam' but I've been listening to Jamil's show(where he goes through a different beer style each episode on Brewing Network) and he suggested that they should be brewed at 62F!

I heard this podcast too, and now I'm trying such cold fermentation. Alas, it turned out, my cellar is a bit too cold, it is 60F. Now, after 24h the fermentation seems to be going, there is one inch of foam, possitive presure on airlock. It looks like a lager fermenting.
I'm afraid I'm pushing the boundary too far, has anyone tried this before?

I heard this podcast too, and now I'm trying such cold fermentation. Alas, it turned out, my cellar is a bit too cold, it is 60F. Now, after 24h the fermentation seems to be going, there is one inch of foam, possitive presure on airlock. It looks like a lager fermenting.

So far, after 2 weeks it fermented from 12.5 Plato to 6 Plato. I'll give it another week, because it is still bubbling.

I'm afraid I'm pushing the boundary too far, has anyone tried this before?

Your basement is not to cold. It is the perfet fermintation temp. Mine holds 60* to 62* year round. In their book "Brewing Classic Styles" they tell you to ferment at, if I recall correctly 65* to 67* degrees. I used a smack pack on my last batch. Once fermintation bagan it was 66*. This brew is very very good. If you do not have the book, I would go out and get it as there is a huge amount of information in it. And 80 recipes as well. I would be willing to bet, once you ferment like this you would not go back to the higher fermintation temps. :rockin:

I am currently doing my first recipe for weisbier, using WLP300 and hoping for something at least close to Ayinger. From the excellent advice here, I'm started at 66 and am currently fermenting at 68.

I kept my weizen in 60F for two weeks, it fermented from 12,7 Plato to 6 Plato. Then the temperature dropped a bit, to 55F, after another two weeks I took hydrometer reading and it is now only 5 plato.
There is still an inch of nice white foam, airlock bubbling slowly, but the fermentation is too slow, I think, I will move it to room temperatures ~68F for the rest of fermentation.

I kept my weizen in 60F for two weeks, it fermented from 12,7 Plato to 6 Plato. Then the temperature dropped a bit, to 55F, after another two weeks I took hydrometer reading and it is now only 5 plato.
There is still an inch of nice white foam, airlock bubbling slowly, but the fermentation is too slow, I think, I will move it to room temperatures ~68F for the rest of fermentation.

How did it turn out? We are going to be brewing a dunkleweizen soon and fermentation temps will be around 60-62 degrees. It may drop lower too depending on how quickly it becomes chilly up here. Thanks!

How did it turn out? We are going to be brewing a dunkleweizen soon and fermentation temps will be around 60-62 degrees. It may drop lower too depending on how quickly it becomes chilly up here.

I kept it warm for 1 week and it fermented very deep - 12.7 -> 2 Plato! Unfortunately I have no time to bottle it, but smells nice.

I prefer fementing my hefe's in the mid 60's. I'm not a huge fan of the overpowering flavors you get from higher temps. I very much enjoy the subtelties of hefe yeast. I want it to be present, but not overwhelming.

How did it turn out?

Now I can tell, it turned out pretty well - this very weizen placed on III place in international contest in Czech Prague. :ban:

The clove and banana are pretty restrained, some say it doesn't taste like hefeweizen. But this way the maltiness can shine, and beer is more subtle.

Back