What yeast for English Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
I just brewed a Barleywine and am going for some really rich caramel and warm, sweet flavors. I added vanilla, brown sugar, and maple syrup at the end of the boil and used Target and EKG hops for 60 and 30 minutes respectively.

Malts were Maris Otter, CaraMunich II, and a small amount of roasted barley and crisp english chocolate malts (465 L).

On hand i have US-05, S-04, and WB-06.

I plan on aging this, and I have oak chips soaking in some Jager Spice right now to add later on after fermentation. Aiming for a flavor and ABV bomb.

If you wanna use a genuine barleywine yeast, WLP099 is the Thomas Hardy strain. If dry is the way you wanna go then I'd use S-04.

Wlp 099 would be good or wlp 007 then if it stalls add 099. But if you are using what you have on hand then S-04. Depending on OG maybe 2 packets.

I like 1028 for English Barleywine. If you're set on dry yeast, S-04 will be the way to go. Assuming a 5 gallon batch I would use 2, maybe 3 packets depending on OG.

Back