What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddroukas

Reaction score
Delimma: I'm making my debut into AG brewing as soon as I gather all the equipment (just finished my cooler-MLT). I need a bigger brew kettle. My plan was to order a 10-gal megapot with all the trimmings (thermometer, SS valve; $204). However I found an old sanke keg in our garage and started considering my options. I could use the keg for my kettle, or a better heated MLT, or a HLT. Only thing is it's huge. That's not a problem if you have somewhere to store tons of brew equipment, but I don't; I'll likely be living in an apartment or small house this coming August. Not to mention buying the burner and subsequently having to brew outdoors (can I get away with a 10-gal megapot on an electric stove top?). So here's my query: buy the 10-gal megapot as a kettle or go for gold and cut into the sanke?

If you're going AG and even thinking about full boils in a single pot, you're going to be outdoors anyway (a stove won't cut it), so I say it's time to cut up that keg and use it for a keggle. The HLT and MLT are easily done with a cooler and the turkey fryer pot that'll come with your emminant turkey fryer purchase. Use the keggle to store some of your other odds and ends when it's not in use if you need to conserve space.

I don't think there's a chance in hell your electric stove will boil the 10 gallon pot. it might, but it'll take FOREVER and you may scorch the bottom.

i'd either get a propane burner, or if you think you'll be screwed when you move into that apartment, get yourself a couple of 20quart stockpots, and split your AG batch into two pots. its a slight hassle, but it's very doable and your beer comes out just fine. the biggest trick, is draining the MLT into your primary bucket, then putting that in your two pots. this keeps consistent gravity, for consistent hop utilization.

For practicality sake, full boils are needed for all grain. Full boils will require a propane burner or some sort of electric (submersible) heating element like Orfy uses.

Don't try to boil 7 gallons on an electric stove. I doubt you'd get an adequate boil for hops bittering.

Yeah, there is no way you will get a stove to boil 7 gals in one pot. However, it is possible to split the boil into two pots. If you are lucky, you can get two 3.5 gal pots to boil on the stove top (my stove just barely cuts it). It is a PITA, but on winter days like today here in Calgary (-35F tonight -- brrr). Otherwise, I really prefer my keggle on the propane burner -- faster and less hassle.

I know a few people here have done a split pot boil -- Yooper is one of them. It makes good beer, but takes a bit longer. An upside for you, however, is that the equipment will take up less space.

Back