What would you do?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
I'd like some opinions on what I should do with my Cherry Fever Stout that turned into a Cherry Bomb Stout. I brewed Papazian's Cherry fever stout yesterday. Into the fermentor it went and this morning I had bits of cherry and wort spackled onto my ceiling and walls in my basement. I figure I lost almost a gallon out of the fermentor. A bit of cherry clogged the airlock and she blew! I found the airlock in three pieces. It must have hit the ceiling pretty hard.
I put a new airlock on and it is behaving for now. When I rack into secondary, should I top it up to five gallons or let it be at ~4 gallons. Thanks in advance.

Ed

CaptKiRkLeS

Reaction score
I'd let it me. The risk of contamination is high. I had my Dunkelweizen spew all over and lost almost a gallon. I just let it go. You wont get as many bottles but that's better than risking ruining the enitre batch.

dave5155

Reaction score
Yeah, like the above poster stated. leave it. you'll only end up diluting it and it won't taste the way it should.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
+1 on investing on a blow off tube.
Was in your same shoes once.....Then SWMBO yelled at me..... Had a blow off tube ever since. :mug:

OP
Doghouse
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it as is.

I think a blow off tube would have clogged too. I'll invest in a 7.9 gal fermentation bucket. That'll give me enough head space for those big foaming brews.

leapdog

Reaction score
buy the blow-off that just sticks right into the top of the carboy... no stopper. it should be thick enough to handle just about anything. couple brews ago i had enough yeast and beer in the blowoff that the krausen in my blowoff collection fell and i knew it had fallen in the beer. crazy stuff.