Rare(ish) oportunitiy for a married guy.. What would you do? Married or otherwise...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khannon

Guy who really knows where his towel is.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I brew 10ish gallons at a time,

The family is going to be away for 5-6 days in a month or so.. this gives me a rare opportunity for a few back-to-back brews, I would love to try water from the CFC hitting the next batch as strike water..

fermentor wise, I can probably hit a 15 Gal, 2 x 10 Gal, 3 x ~5 Gal(maybe more if needed)

Production wise, I can hit ~35lbs of grain in the mash tun at ~1.25qts/lb.

I plan on brewing my tripel(10g), 10g of a 2xIPA, which takes up a day of brewing.

I'm thinking of trying the Westvletren XII clone at 5 or 10 Gal. So what else would you brew?

I can(if I am aware of the process, an don't drink too much) do a double batch in a day, and I have a few days to brew.. One of my thoughts was continuing my lambic project.

So, if money for grain, hops and yeast were no object, and you had nothing better to do for a few days, what would you do? Looking to optimize the time available into interesting brews.. Assume I have no other hobbies(which may or may not be true..)

Thanks again...

If your focus is on producing as much beer as you can in the time you have available I have a few ideas..

You can brew a high-gravity recipe, then sparge the spent grain again to get a second "small" beer out of it, or add some extract to boost it up to standard gravity; different color extracts can change it into an entirely different beer.

If you brew a big stout you can cold-steep all the darker malts separate from the mash and add that to the first runnings in the kettle, meaning your second or small beer can be a lighter, non-roast color.

Extract brews are another way to cram more brewing into less time; if money is really no object, order a bunch of extract kits and you can bang them out, 2-3 per day if you work efficiently.

5 days to brew without distractions is an incredible opportunity if you plan ahead.

Wish I had that kinda time. I've always got slurrys of yeast waiting for another batch to be dropped on them, but family and life get in the way so they get dumped alot. I do refrigerate them, but shelf life happens quickly.
Brew on Brother !

My only thought is that with using water from the CFC as strike water may not be a great idea depending on what kind of hoses you’re running it through and the source. If you have good brewing water from the tap and you aren’t running it through a nasty old garden hose then give it a try as long as you can get the temperature dialed in.

I've done back to back batches before but didn't plan great and messed up the second recipe as a result. Next time I'll plan to prep everything before brew day to reduce mistakes.

Back