What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the dilemma that the collective wisdom of HBT will no doubt solve (or at least, respectfully, argue about).

I pitched one of Wyeast's Private Collection yeasts (WY1882 - Thames Valley II) for a best bitter that I brewed today. I tried an English-style pale ale at my LHBS that the proprietor had brewed - a lovely fruity, but not sweet, aspect to it. Later read the Wyeast blurb about it; they mention 'stone fruit' in the flavour profile - spot on!

Anyhoo, I am really wanting to harvest this yeast and keep it for the dark days when great PC yeasts (I still miss 1469 :(). Of late, I have taken to skipping racking my brews to secondary and leaving them in primary for 10-14 days and then racking them directly to the keg, unless I add fruit or dry-hop in secondary. If I am keen on harvesting, washing and re-using the yeast, would I be better to rack to secondary after a week to harvest the yeast? Or will the yeast still be alright after two weeks in secondary?

Please advise. Thanks in advance as always.

:mug:

I've washed yeast 5 times now, and each time it's been after 3-4 weeks in the primary. Gotten a ton of viable yeast every single time. My guess is that you should be fine.

If you're asking whether you should wash yeast from the primary or secondary, general consensus seems to be primary. I wouldn't know personally, though.

Back