What would you do differently?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterDrew

Reaction score
To preface:
A number of years back I started fiddling around with homebrewing. I did extracts only using buckets for my fermenting and bottled everything I did. Had a great time but shortly afterward took a job requiring my being away from the home darn near all the time and my hobby went away. About a year ago in the midst of selling our home and moving I gave all of my brewing equipment away to someone who was just getting into the craft.

Now to the fun part:
I am still in the same line of work, however I am home more often and now have the luxury of time along with the means to start all over.

The Question:
Let's say that you were able to start from scratch building an All Grain / Kegging system. What would you have done differently this time around?

This isn't really a "give me a shopping list" I pretty much have that in my head. I am looking for some fun tips and tricks and to spark some creative juices on a new setup.

I would have given myself a little more room at my little exterior brewery. I have a covered brewery with hot & cold running water, countertop, storage etc., but I wish I would have gave myself a little more room.
I also would not have gone RIMS first. I like HERMS much better.

A thermapen. What a quality of life upgrade. I am assuming your doing temp control already, and all the other basics.

I made a very similar transition. I sold off most of my brewing gear and all of my kegging equipment when I divorced in 2008, after brewing for 12 years. When I started again in 2010, I resumed by converting a keg to a boil kettle, did extract for a couple of years, and started collecting the parts to build what wanted: two tier system with a direct fire, insulated recirculating mash tun, pump, and boil kettle with a whirlpool port. Never went back to kegging, just to much hassle. Love the flexibility of my system.
That said, in the last month I've brewed two BIAB batches in a 10 gallon pot, and if I had known about BIAB 4 years ago, my current system may never have been built.

Dedicated space, or a brewsstand on wheels that incorporates everything you need for a brew.

I feel like I waste so much time setting up and testing down, as well as reorganizing

Alittle more space in my man cave/brewery to incorporate a herms with vent hood & a utility sink so I could do everything in one place.

The hardest decision I am making at the moment is one that you all have mentioned. What form of Mash / Lauter apparatus to go with. I initially thought about going the picnic cooler with a false bottom route. I have since picked up a few books (I'm a reader) and have read that having the ability to stage temperature while mashing gives even better control over the finished product.

I am sure it's a highly debated topic etc but is the cost / effort involved in going the RIMS / HERMS route worth it?

I will definitely make sure to alot myself enough space. I don't see myself having the ability to have hot/cold water taps in my brew space, but will have plenty of space in general.

I would move my brewery indoors a heck of a lot sooner. Having all of my junk in my basement is loads better because a) I don't have to fight the wind / temperature / precipitation anymore and b) I don't have to haul all of my junk from the basement to the back deck and then back down at the end of the day.

I would probably go natural gas over electric. It's cheaper and simpler. I do like my electric setup a lot, but it was pricey and I really don't like cleaning the BK heating element.

I have a HERMS setup. I like how clear the wort gets from the constant recirculation. No more vorlaufing for me! Keeping the temps rock steady eludes me so far. I have grave doubts about being able to step mash effectively. Haven't tried it yet.

B.I.A.B.

Brew In A Bag

That is all you need to know that you didn't know. Thread closed. :cross:

Back