What would you call a dark ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
I had a whoopsie today. Making my ESB recipe, I was to add 1/2 lb of dark DME. I only had dark LME, so poured some in. You know how "pouring" LME is...
so, my wort is pretty dark. I s'pose it will have a slight flavor change, but I doubt it's much.
I'm curious if there is any beer profile that already tastes like an ESB, but is much darker. Not as dark as a porter, but 1/2 way to it from ESB copper. Dark amber? Scotch?
Dunkel-ESB?
Got any ideas, real or imaginative?

curious what was the recipe? I prefer to use extra light DME for everything and steep/mash grains for color/flavor/body etc; What yeast did you use? I'm making a bitter in a few weeks and I'm gonna try that new cask ale or special bitter from wyeast.

The old standy. Specialty Beer. If you don't give a rat's butt about style guidelines call it an ESD. Extra Special Dark. Style guidelines are for competitions and wussies.

Again, I am druck and post whoring, so my opinion is useless.

curious what was the recipe? I prefer to use extra light DME for everything and steep/mash grains for color/flavor/body etc; What yeast did you use? I'm making a bitter in a few weeks and I'm gonna try that new cask ale or special bitter from wyeast.

It's a concoction of my own.
I use 6 lbs of 1L DME
1/2 lb DME or LME for color
2 lbs 2-row
1/2 lb Dextrin Carapils
1/2 lb Victory
all steeped 1/2 hour at a 170F start- it steeps @ 155F when you add the grains

1/2 oz Amarillo 60 min
1/2 oz Amarillo 15 min
1/2 oz Cascade 15 min
1/2 oz Cascade 5 min
a pinch of Irish Moss @ 15 min
dry hop if you like to taste.
I use Safale S-33 Edme yeast.
I also put some yeast nutrient in there, and 30 sec of oxygen to start. It is starting to Krausen beside me right now, 5 hours after the pitch.

There's a good micro-brewery near me- Boundary Bay in Bellingham.
This is hard to tell from their ESB, and that's pretty good stuff. :mug:

The old standy. Specialty Beer. If you don't give a rat's butt about style guidelines call it an ESD. Extra Special Dark. Style guidelines are for competitions and wussies.

Sounds good to me- ESD!:mug:

A dark ESB is a Extra Special Dark. If you also hop it heavily, it's a Casadian Dark Ale.

It's a concoction of my own.
I use 6 lbs of 1L DME
1/2 lb DME or LME for color
2 lbs 2-row
1/2 lb Dextrin Carapils
1/2 lb Victory
all steeped 1/2 hour at a 170F start- it steeps @ 155F when you add the grains

1/2 oz Amarillo 60 min
1/2 oz Amarillo 15 min
1/2 oz Cascade 15 min
1/2 oz Cascade 5 min
a pinch of Irish Moss @ 15 min
dry hop if you like to taste.
I use Safale S-33 Edme yeast.
I also put some yeast nutrient in there, and 30 sec of oxygen to start. It is starting to Krausen beside me right now, 5 hours after the pitch.

There's a good micro-brewery near me- Boundary Bay in Bellingham.
This is hard to tell from their ESB, and that's pretty good stuff. :mug:

Coolness...Mine's more trad best bitter with EK Gold and Challenger. I love making the smaller beers there's more room to muck with different malts like victory. I'm using Marris Otter, wheat malt, 60L, and some dark muscovado sugar.

You know for color that victory will orange it up a bit and if you throw in an ounce of black malt that will redden it.

Latest posts

Back