What would it taste like...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkman

Reaction score
... If a recipe that called for a lb of crystal malts was filled by 3 oz of crystal malts every 20L. Would it produce flavors along that whole range or would it be a completely different flavor?

3 oz Crystal 20
3 oz Crystal 40
Etc, all the way to 120

Thinking of experimenting.

I remember a post of something thinking about this, but I can’t find it. Seems like a reasonable idea to me, although you’ll probably get a sort of generic caramel sweetness. I find that using too many different malts (or hops for that matter) leads to an indistinct character. It’s sort of like mixing 12 colors of paint together thinking you’ll get a rainbow, when you actually get brown.

I recall reading in BYO magazine that the brewer from Full Sail suggested using various crystal malts in recipes because he said that it adds complexity.

I think you would get a bit of flavor from each malt, but they would become so muddled you would be unable to detect any distinctions.

I did something similar in an ESB last year. the beer came out great, but you'll find the darker crystal will take over the rest. I'd weight it light heavy if you do it.

Mixing Crystal/caramels is common, but adding the whole spectrum is pointless, other than for an experiment. As mentioned before, you'll end up with overpowered lower crystals, and mainly high crystal flavors.

Back