What would happen if....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The enzymes that convert starch to fermentable sugars don't do much at that temp. Likely you you will have a very unfermentable wort. I.e., OG -= 1.060, FG = 1.040. Or worse.

Let the fermentation go. Use a wine thief to test it. If you get horrible attenuation, consider amylase enzymes.

That's my guess. I've never experienced this.

Little to no conversion of starches to sugars, 130 is just below the very beginning of the malt producing amylase (Which produce maltose). What was the OG?

The enzymes that convert starch to fermentable sugars don't do much at that temp. Likely you you will have a very unfermentable wort. I.e., OG -= 1.060, FG = 1.040. Or worse.

Let the fermentation go. Use a wine thief to test it. If you get horrible attenuation, consider amylase enzymes.

That's my guess. I've never experienced this.

Passed pawn dood, you're fast!! +1 on the amylase enzyme, your mash didn't create any, this would at least give you some conversion.:mug:

Well here's the whole story, guess I shoulda told you first. That same night we broke our hydrometer. I guess we drank a little too much homebrew. Anyhow I didnt realize the thermo was broke till later it was saying room temp was 90. So to make a long story short, I thought it broke afterwards and the mash was ok. I let it go a month in primary and kegged it. It's an ipa. Has a really good hop flavor, but tastes watery. It's still young so I'm not sure yet.

OK, that's water (beer?) under the bridge. Consider it a learning experience.

Try brewing in the morning without beer. That's what I do. I know it's great to drink while brewing, but if you want the best brewday, start at sunup.

passedpawn said:
OK, that's water (beer?) under the bridge. Consider it a learning experience.

Try brewing in the morning without beer. That's what I do. I know it's great to drink while brewing, but if you want the best brewday, start at sunup.

True that, or consider an after brewing reward(s). That way you don't fog up your mindset, and have something to look forward too!

I had this happen to me about a month ago. My thermometer wasn't working (it was even a good digital one) and was reading 15 degrees warmer than the actual temps. I ended up mashing at 135 and had 52% efficiency. I ended up making a step-wort that could make up the missing gravity points, boiled it down to an extract like syrup, and added it to the beer.

Back