What will this style of beer be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethliam

Reaction score
Hi,

What will this grain bill give me:

60% Pilsner
40% Munich-Light

Hops: Saaz
Yeast: Dry Saflager-23
Fermenting at 55F

My LHBS guy gave me more Munich malt than I had asked for (was originally going for a koelsh-style ale 95%/5%). Of course it's all milled and mixed up so I can't separate them! It looks like I'm going to end up with a darker beer - maybe an altbier? Oh, for an expert give me some advise?!

Mash high and you got yourself a nice bock, provided you have the right gravity.
Or do as I like to do and say to hell with style guidelines, this sounds tasty enough!

Oh right - and take this opportunity to go totay nuts and try decoction. It's worth it. Read up on Hochkurz for starters.

I like the Bock and decoction reasoning... will have to look into this. With my setup I'm doing the BIAB technique.. thanks

I once suggested such a thing and was promptly educated that a Munich Helles by definition is all pilsner malt. But, as I said before: screw the guidelines, just brew tasty!

So, I tasted this 'bockfest' the other day - it came out great! the breadiness from the munich definitely hits you but it has a nice clean taste as it goes down. I was pleasently surprised that this came out so clear and crisp. I have the bottles carbed up and chilling out at around 45-50F in my basement - the only good thing about this persistent cold weather in NY this winter/spring.

Back